Thursday we leave for Quetico Provincial Park

We are using Voyageur Canoe Outfitters out of Grand Marais, MN. For anyone not familiar with Quetico it is just North of the BWCA. The troop picked this area because it is a little more remote (if that's possible) than the BWCA. There are 2 crews going one is with the older scouts 15 to 17 years old, 6 scouts and 3 adults. The group I am going with there are 4-13 years old and one 15 year old and 2 adults. We had a shakedown last night and everyone is pumped up!

When you are going on a High Adventure trip, does the crew pick PL APL for the week? These scouts are from 2 different patrols. Or do you usually just go as a team?

Two other crews are leaving for Isle Royal on Friday of this week also, last Monday we had to split up the troop gear, had to run out and get another stove and fuel bottles.

Dan,

Have a great time!

We have two crews going to Tinnerman Canoe Base in Canada this August. Both crews elected their own crew leaders about 4 - 5 months ago, who did as much of the planning as they could along side the adults. It's kind of ironic that the BSA encourages boy run, but they force the adults to do so much,particularly paperwork.

Occasionally, when a boy presents an idea to the PLC for an event that we have not done before, the SPL assigns him as the crew leader. He then becomes responsible for gathering information, informing and training the members of the Troop, securing resources (specifically, but not only, adults), and making arrangements. This works great for us. When guys are really excited about their own idea, they work their fannies off making the idea go. And if their just trying to be a smart aleck with an idea, which does happen sometimes, their efforts fizzle out quickly.

Mark

Hi Dan

We've been to Quetico twice and love it. I hope you get a boat ride to Hook Island, that is fun also and it sure helps you get a good start. Be sure and say hi to Canadan Ranger for us. She is interesting to say the least.

Mark explained how we also select crew leaders. Usually its the guy who pushed the idea of the trek in the first place. In your case if one hasn't been selected, I usually ask a scout who I think is capable, but needs leadership experience. He needs to understand the responsibility and the pressure that goes along with it. It can be a long week for someone not ready. It will also be a test on you because you havn't got in the habit of turning to your crew leader to let him answer questions that are asked of you.

One other thing our fairly new SM learned the hard way. In our Troop, the SPL is still responsibile for not leaving anyone and maintains control until the crews leave on their treks. If your SPL is not going, you need to assign one, it can be a crew leader. You also still need a quarter master to make sure the gear is loaded up correctly. Our SM who had not been on a Venture Patrol treks before ignored this. I was pulling our trailer, so I asked him to get me a quartermaster, which surprised him. I still wonder who he thought was going to load the gear. He didn't get an SPL and while we have great scouts who can take care of themselves, we almost left a scout behind. He couldn't understand why it happened until I asked him who usually checks the cars.

Have a great trip at Quetico, I hope you see the Moose (Meese?) that we saw. Oh and take a backpacking hammock, they have great trees for hammocks. I finished a Tom Clancy book and stayed out of the boys hair. Oh, I know of a great fishing spot, but I need to find my map.

Oh how I love this scouting stuff

Barry

• 2 weeks later...

We made it back! Covered 44 miles of lakes, rivers and 17 portages, averaged 3.1 mph on the water.

Janice was not working on Friday, so I could not send her your wishes. The guy that checked us in did not want us to leave, he seemed a little lonely.

We got a tow to Hook Island but paddled back to the outfitters.

We keep the scouts very busy paddling, but I think that they know they did something pretty special. By the end of the week they where a pretty good team. Of course we had one boy who did not want to be there and quit scouts when we got back last night. I am sure I will be hearing more about this from the committee!

The scouts selected a PL and APL and made up a cooking roster, this is the first time that these scouts have used dehrayted food so some of the meals where uniquie. We where supplied with enough food for at least 2 more people.

Only one scout was strong enough to portage the food pack till the middle of the week or a canoe, so the other leader and I got quite a workout. I would not do this again unless all scouts could portage a canoe.

Did not see any moose or bear or deer. Saw one Bald Eagle, one Osprey, one Mink and many loons, I have been going to the BWCA for 9 years and this is the first time that I have seen a baby loon.