Hi All

One of the adults in our crew was complaining how he keeps sliding off his Therm-a-rest. I've seen this brought up before, but since I don't use one, I don't remember how to fix that.

Andy Ideas?

Barry

I bought a 'Big Agnes" bag that has a pocket that you slip the pad into, and it fits a nice big and thick pad. No more slipping and the bag is cut a little bigger and is still lighter than most. No goose down on the bottom where the pad fits. The pad is the thermal barrier under you because down does not work well when you compress it. Keeps the bag nice and square too.

A scout dad who owns a climbling store showed it to me. I use it and my wife borrowed it and now she has one and about a half a dozen other guys bought one after they saw mine. I am going to buy these for my sons as soon as they can take care of their gear a little better.

Genuine Therm-a-rest pads normally don't have an overly slippery surface. If the pad combined with the bag is creating a problem, there's a solution that's cheaper than buying a new bag you can slide the pad into. Consider the elastic straps with the garter belt-type fasteners many people use to keep their bed sheets from popping off of their mattresses. Clip them on the corners of your bag in a non-destructive fashion, and run them around the bottom of your pad. Unless you flop around like a marlin on a hook, they should hold. These things are at the store for about five bucks.

KS

Hey, here's another thought. I don't mean to insult the guy's intelligence, but does he have the thing right-side-up? On the TAR pads my son and I use (CampRest models), the bottom is brown...

(reminds me of an old landscaping joke; punchline: "...green side up!")

KS

My wife uses a mesh material that is kind of rubberized to keep the chair cushions from moving around on the dining room chairs. I've also seen it used to line cupboard shelves. My son stole a couple of them before one campout because he was having the same problem with his therma rest. It worked, he went out and bought a roll. After a few uses, it kind of balls up and become a pain, so he just cuts more off the roll.

He went through about 1/2 the roll in his 7 years of Scouting, and I think I remember hearing him say it cost about $4.00.

By the way, let me take this oppurtunity to say thank you to everyone here who has ever been a positive influence on a boy's life. And that means each and every one of you. My son's Eagle Court of Honor was a week ago. The pride I have for my son is only surpassed by the gratitude I have for Scouting and the fine people who make it happen. Just in case someone hasn't said thank you to you, THANK YOU TO YOU!

Mark

ThermaRest sells a no skid band to wrap around the pad. It is about 18 inches wide and works pretty well.

Also, you can go to any carpet store and buy a few feet of non-skid material. This is the stuff that carpet installers put underneath an area rug. All you have to do is lay it on top of the pad, before you roll out your sleeping bag. This works very well.

• 2 weeks later...

Think I'll try those flowers - improve the ambience if nothing else (!)

Or maybe look for something similar but square and make a chessboard?

Once prepared, you can bet that all of your tent sites will be perfectly flat...

• 3 weeks later...

We've had the same problem ever since therma-rest came out , I have found that rubber shelf liner work's really great and a piece to fit the 3/4 length matt. is super light weight.You can find the stuff at wal-marts. They use to make this stuff called spider back you could only get at backpack stores i don't know if you can still get it.

Have you tried sexwax, a couple of stripes on each side of the pad and the pad doesnt slip on the tent bottom and the bag stays on the pad. Remember to use the right temp rating or it can get really messy! (I prefer the quick humps 4x firm in root beer flavor)

Dude, we have tried everything..I have never understood why therma-rest don't issue the problem. I mean it's like the Porsche of sleeping pad's..I don't know how many times, I have wound up at the bottom of the tent..now a lot of these wood-working stores sell this pad to go under your router projects and it works good too!

But it's pretty costly...