fotoscout,

Please re-read item number one below.

1) That person can not sleep in the same tent as the Scout and the Scout should not sleep alone.

This means that if you were to take someoneelses Cub Scout with you and your son you would sleep in one tent and the two Cub Scouts would sleep in their own tent.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be okay with grandparents, uncle, sibling (over 21) in a tent with a Cub, assuming I have the parent's signed consent. I would not be confortable with a guardian (i.e. not "Legal Guardian") sleeping in the tent with them. If the parents wanted this, I would seek guidance from the Council office beforehand.

As I stated earlier, for Webelos and up, we encourage scouts sleeping in tents with scouts. Prevents the issue from arising.

I personally probably would not have a problem with it if I knew the Familiy, especially Grandparents or siblings. Uncles? Too many stories about "funny" Uncles out there.

As a policy I don't think it's a good idea. Just opens the door to issues that shouldn't have to be dealt with. I agree with EagleinKY. Have kids sleep with kids.

One possibility though (and I don't know how this would go over with those that know the rules much better that I do.) would be to use a large, family style tent that slept 6 or 8 and have kids sleep on one side and several adults on the other.

SA

ScoutingAgain,

I've been wrong before, so don't be suprised if I'm wrong on this one, too. but I believe your 6 - 8 person tent with mixed adults and boys wouldn't fly if put to the test. I think the rule saying a boy cannot stay in the same tent as an adult not his parent or legal gaurdian precludes a boy staying in the same tent as his parent AND a person who is not his parent or legal gaurdian.

I would like someone with a real basis of knowledge to respond to the relative, sibling question. It is possible that my nephew will be spending the summer with us this year, and he is a Cub Scout. If we do a Dad -n - Lad campout, I'd like to know what I can do in this case. My hope would be to have him pair up with another Scout, but in the few of these I have been to, it has always been dad and son in a tent.

Mark

Why do you people keep looking for "legit" ways to put an adult into the same tent with a boy? It ain't allowed and it's plain stupid to do so! What can be more clear than the bold print BSA policy "NO YOUTH WILL STAY IN THE TENT OF AN ADULT OTHER THAN HIS OR HER PARENT OR GUARDIAN."

You all need to watch the "It Happened to Me" child abuse video.

I dont think it about a legit way to put an adult into the same tent. Its about finding a way to make it work, that BSA will support, while recognizing that not all scouts have the opportunity to have a parent come along on camping trips. Its about finding a way for a boy who lost his father on 9/11 to go camping with us. Its about the boy who isnt quite ready to sleep in a tent without an adult and he comes from a single parent home where mom cant leave the other kids behind to go camping.

AND its about a very lousy goosey bit of rule writing, 'guardian - legal guardian'.

It's tragic when a boy loses his father.

There is a way that this boy can camp, and that BSA will approve. The boy can sleep in a tent with other boys.

If that is too much of a stretch for him, maybe he could have a practice campout in his back yard with a couple of friends. Or "campout" in the basement of his house. That might help him get accustomed to the idea of sleeping without an adult. When the boy is ready he could then camp comfortably in a tent with boys, and that would solve the dilemma.

There is a way to clear up any question about the adult and youth tent rule. Have your DE or Scout Executive write on council letterhead his permission for the boy to sleep with the adult of your choosing. I'm sure he would agree that this idea would be OK, because the Guide to Safe Scouting is such a "very lousy goosey bit of rule writing". Scout Executives are taught at Scout Executive school that rules may be safely ignored as long as someone has trouble understanding the rule.