First-time camp staffing experiences?

As it's now winter I trust/hope your son had a good camp staff experience. I thought I'd just relate some of my own experiences of camp staff. A little background information of my own: I've worked on camp staff for 5 consecutive summers, 4 on services staff and one in program, needless to say I've done more grunt work and physical labor than most, but I thoroughly enjoy it. My council's camps are in WI and I if I'm correct, very close to the camp that experienced that unfortunate tree accident. In program mine is like most other camps, except we have one unique part; my council was a merge of two previous councils and thus has two summer camps, both which are run by one staff. 2 weeks of Cub Scouts and 3 weeks of Boy scouts at the southern one, then over the course of one day we pack up and move 100 miles north to the other, setup, and open for another 3 weeks of Boy scouts there. This presents its own challenges but provides for a good time anyways.

Most of the things mentioned so far are good and accurate. I know for a fact that soda and snacks are a hot commodity among staff, people in my cabin the last few years always kept a large supply of such goods. However much I enjoyed soda and junk food at night and rest periods, I learned through my own experience that water during the day is a surefire route, and that eating well at meals is key too. Sleep habits also came with experience. I recall my time as a CIT and first year staffer taught me that; being late to flags is not a good idea, Other Duties As Assigned can and will quickly become your worst enemy. That was pretty much a self taught lesson, though some people required follow-up courses throughout the summer. As per care packages, those were always welcome but usually went used pretty quick. Of course the food and snacks were welcome and enjoyed (when critters didn't get to them first), but money is very helpful if you want to teach your young staffer to manage money. Even with my experience I still found myself this last summer spending a great deal of my check to the displeasure of my parents. Letters are also a nice idea. I myself never got any, but on the whole, after my first year on staff I didn't miss home much, actually I found it was nice being away from home. Add to that the bond that forms over time, and scout camp is now my preferred "home" away from home. If camp was run year round, you could bet I would be there year round as well. I wonder if most people find this feeling.

I suppose that's enough babble about my camping experience, as you may be able to tell I have come to love summer camp and it's extremely hard to imagine going to camp again not as a staff member, I think a saying among my group of staff goes "once a stapher always a stapher." That could not be more true. One other thing I would like to say is that besides learning new things, being a staff member provides other invaluable lessons that are not easily learned other ways. The most clear to me is that spending summers away from home with minimal contact with my parents prepared me well for going away to college. While it's still close enough to come home on the weekends, I found that I was used to being on my own and able to adjust to new living conditions rather well, and then able to go and make new friends sooner than if I had to cope with being away from home for the first time. I think my parents are also happy about that on the whole, although now I'm used to not seeing or talking to them so my mother gets annoyed that I don't call or email her more than once a month.

Anyways, camp staff is probably one of the biggest parts of scouting that has positively impacted me and I wish all scouts could experience that at least once. Happy scouting and staffing, I think it's time to fill out my staff app. for this summer.

YIS,

Jerry Erjavec

• 5 weeks later...

I see this post is a month old so I'm gonna bring it back to life.

This summer I may also be staffing at a camp for the first time. My DE told me that when hiring he loves to see camp staff on a resume, he said it's a big PLUS.

So I'm deciding whether or not to do it. I want to get the experience, I believe it will no doubt help me in the future as a pro(hoping that I get there when I graduate). I also want to do it as soon as I can. I am 19 now and will be finishing my second year of college soon. I have a FULL time girlfriend and miis being home too. SO bascially it comes down to me going home and packing my bags to leave again for the summer. I AM willing to do that though, if it will help me better understand how camps run etc... I also have no doubt it will be a good time. A few fellow scouts I know staff and would love to see me come aboard...

Any idea's or tips for a first time staffer? Also, what is there to do as staff? I have ideas of some merit badges I could teach, but bedides that what else is there to do? I am most interested, and always have been in leadership training. I find that the most fun I have had in Scotuing is teacheing other scouts how to become good leaders...But I'm not sure if programs like that exist at summer camp.--In my former troop, I only went to Summer camp 2 times(normal merit badge style summer camp). I had to attend summer school a lot-- So I am not all too familar with Summer Camps.

Thoughts..

VentureScoutNY:

DO IT! Go work at camp. I, too, am finishing my second year of college and I am sure you already realize that there are very few oppertunities to spend an entire summer at camp left.

I ended up a my camp in a whirlwind last year...the hiring process went too fast to even notice what was going on! BUT, I loved it!!!

What area will you be working? If you have Scoutcraft questions, I can try to answer them to the best of my abilities.

Tips that I have, iof you can, go get trained at Camp School...it was a rough week for me, but I learned so much and it made me a confident director...are you in the Northeast Region?

Second, dont worry about what you've left at home, if the camp is in your council, you can go home between campers departure and arrival and mail is the greatest invention in the world.

Third, go fully prepared to learn volumes about leadership, about boyscouting, and about people.

Fourth, go fully prepared to meet some of hte best friends you can have and to have you life change...I know mine did.

Outdoor Thinker wrote:>I know that this string was started at the beginning of the summer, KMGFINEART, I hope your son enjoyed his camp staffing experience, as much as I did. I know I am looking forward to reapplying. I miss camp already!! >

Just a quick follow-up: He loved it! And can't wait to go back, but maybe not for the entire stint, since summer is short, and we are trying to fit a two or three-week trip for him to see my godfather, who is getting on in years, during that time. But he made friends, and had fun, and was a good Scout! Scouting has really helped him become a great young man. Eventually he got used to the mosquitoes, learned to keep track of all the boys and their blue cards (over a thousand of them, since he was in charge of the entire handicrafts area - at fifteen years old?!), came back home tanned, strong and thinner - not that he needed to be, just that he was too busy to eat much! And loved scouting. He wants to staff Philmont some day, he said.

Outdoor Thinker wrote:>I know that this string was started at the beginning of the summer, KMGFINEART, I hope your son enjoyed his camp staffing experience, as much as I did. I know I am looking forward to reapplying. I miss camp already!! >

Just a quick follow-up: He loved it! And can't wait to go back, but maybe not for the entire stint, since summer is short, and we are trying to fit a two or three-week trip for him to see my godfather, who is getting on in years, during that time. But he made friends, and had fun, and was a good Scout! Scouting has really helped him become a great young man. Eventually he got used to the mosquitoes, learned to keep track of all the boys and their blue cards (over a thousand of them, since he was in charge of the entire handicrafts area - at fifteen years old?!), came back home tanned, strong and thinner - not that he needed to be, just that he was too busy to eat much! And loved scouting. He wants to staff Philmont some day, he said.

• 1 month later...