Training requirements for BW trip

Our troop would like to take a boundry waters trek. (I am the SM somewhat new, and cannot go.)There are two adult members of the troop that would like to lead the outing. One is a committe member who has canoed in the BW before with the troop 3yrs ago, and the other is an 18yr old/ASM/(Eagle scout too.)Who also went on the troop trip 3 years ago. Neither of the two have any official training.

What training will they need? I have the Guide to Safe Scouting. It looks like Safety Afloat and Safe Swim Defense Training and CPR are needed. Any others?

(It's the weekend and wasn't able to call the council office so I thought I'd give the forum a shot.)

Thanks

I saw this thread yesterday and figured you would have some responses by now. However, since you don't, I'll respond as well as I can.

You may still have to contact your local council service center. As you pointed out, it is the weekend, and I don't have all my resources at home. I have my current copy of ProSpeak and my binder on Scouting Accident and Sickness Insurance from Mutual of Ohmaha -- exciting weekend reading for a profesional, but I don't have all of the other stuff here.

The first thing you need to worry about is meeting the standards of Two Deep Leadership. It appears you have them met. I was able to look those up. Two deep leadership is defined as "Two registered adult leaders or one registered leader and a parent of a participant, one of whom must be 21 years of age or older, are required on all trips and outings. The chartered organization is responsible for ensuring that sufficient leadership is provided for all activities."

Yes, they should attend basic training prior to the trip. It isn't, however much I wish it was, required. It isn't required any more, but it used to be that you had to have a BSA Lifeguard on a trip such as you describe. The requirement didn't last long, but I think it was a good one. If you can have a BSA Lifeguard (or Red Cross or YMCA equivalent) attend, I think you'll sleep easier during the trek.

Check your Tour Permit. I believe at least one adult on the trip needs to have completed youth protection training. Even if it isn't required, I think it's more than a good idea. Whether they take it on-line or watch the video, it shouldn't take more than an hour.

I'm not sure where your troop is located, but if the travel exceeds 500 miles or 12 hours each way, you'll need to file a national tour permit. These are approved by your region, not your local council (I mean final approval,) and they enforce the deadlines. Don't be late with it.

If your troop is crossing to the Canadian side, you'll need a national tour permit regardless of the distance travelled. You'll also have to (in all probability) deal with customs folks who will want to see copies of birth certificates for the youth or parental permission slips. I'm not an expert on Canadian Customs, but "be prepared" is important.

I don't mean to make your troop's high adventure sound more difficult than it has to be. Just make sure your trek leaders follow the guidelines and that the troop file the proper paperwork.

And then enjoy seeing the photos and hearing the stories about the trip you couldn't attend.

Good luck.

DS

It is a general requirement for all float trips that all participants should pass the BSA swimmer test. If your scouts are all at least first class, or earned the swimming merit badge, or passed the swimmer test at summer camp, you are OK with the youth. Adults should set the example and pass the same test.

It is permissible to take a non swimmer on a float trip if you have a qualified lifeguard to buddy with them in the canoe in which that person will be riding.

You need to confirm the swimming ability status of all your participants and make suitable arrangements for testing if necessary.

These are general requirements for all float trips. I don't know if the BW high adventure base does anything more or differently.

Nice catch, eisley. I forgot about the swim test stuff. If the boys attended summer camp and took a swim test, you can use the same status they earned then. Or you can work with your local YMCA or other pool facility to get them through it.

DS

A few questions: One, who is your out fitter, or are you going threw Sommers? Two, how many scouts, there ages, there level of experience? Three, have you applied for and gotten your BWCA & Quetico permits? Take it from an old Charlie Guide, thier is a lot more to setting up a trip to the BW than meets the Eye.

• 2 weeks later...

only two leaders - one who only attended as a 15 yr old scout on a previous trip - I'd be a little leary of sending a group off with ONLY them.

there are a number of scout camps and places that will send you with experienced GUIDES for a nominal fee - you might want to check with Napawon, and some other scout camps that do trips.

Our troop attends Canoecopia each year in Madison, WI - a great resource for canoeing info, equipment, outfitters and locations - maybe they could help you with information to set up a trip.

http://www.canoecopia.com/canoecopia/

it is sponsored by rutabaga - here's their site:

http://www.paddlers.com/

I found some GREAT resources there - if you are still shopping for actual places to go - let me know, I can e-mail you some of the info.

LauraT