Medical Treatment and Custodial Authorization

My troop is sending a group to Seabase - Bahamas Adventure.

We'd like all parents to sign (and notarize) a form giving us permission to authorize emergency medical treatment, and since we are travelling internationally, something that gives legal authorization to have custody of the boys for the trip.

Surely someoe else has created such a permission form!

If you have one, or know where I could find one, I'd greatly appreciate an email.

Thanks,

John Burgess, SA, T-200, Central New Jersey Council

Eisely is correct. Check it with a lawyer.

Here is a medical release we have used, and is one that is similar to our comm'l one. Some of the formatting has been lost her. All the physicians really want to do is to get someones signature before going to work. They will try to call first. YOu can add some language giving a particular person (SM) the authority to seek medical care for the child. I am not sure where we got it, but we once used it. No one got hurt. In the one incident many years ago where I did have to use one we had a handwritten note that worked fine.

This one also comes with a conduct form, the med release which is what you want is at the end.

JB

TROOP XXX, BOY SCOUTS OF AMERICA

OUTDOOR ACTIVITY RULES OF CONDUCT AND CONSENT FORM

Since the safety and best interest of ALL our scouts is foremost. We ask that you as parent (or guardian) review the following guidelines with your child and show your support and agreement by signing and returning it to the Scoutmaster of Troop XXX, along with the medical information prior to the departure date for the activity. As a participant in a Troop XXX outdoor activity you are:

not allowed to leave the group, or the camp site by yourself unless you have permission from your adult leader

required to wear seat belts at all times when riding in any motor vehicle and to not stand or move around while the vehicle is in motion.

required to have good manners and respect for fellow scouts and adult leaders at all times.

required to be responsible for your own gear, personal belongings and valuables.

required to obey the Scout Oath, Scout Law and Outdoor Code at all times.

I, the undersigned Scout, have read and fully understand the above rules of conduct and agree that Troop XXX reserves the right to withdraw me from the activity if I show a disregard for these rules of conduct.

As parent/guardian, I agree that if my child is withdrawn from the activity due to improper conduct, I will make arrangements for my child's return home immediately. Further, I have read the description of the activity and fully understand that the program is a moderately strenuous physical activity.

MEDICAL RELEASE

In the event that my child needs medical attention while participating in the activity, and I cannot be reached, consent is hereby given for any emergency hospitalization, anesthesia, operation or other medical treatment which might become necessary.

I HAVE CAREFULLY READ THIS AGREEMENT AND FULLY UNDERSTAND ITS CONTENTS, AND I SIGN IT OF MY OWN FREE WILL.

_________________________________ ____________________ __________________

Scout's Signature Printed Name Date

_________________________________ ____________________ __________________

Parent or Guardian's signature Printed Name Date

PHONE___________________________

Thanks for all the replies. I will check the BSA medical forms -- and with a lawyer as suggested.

What about international travel? We are concerned that we the recent security crackdowns that there could be issues. I'd just like to cover my --- umm, I mean -- all contingencies. Is there a temporary custody form? Or am I being overly paranoid?

Thanks again. John Burgess

I don't know about the Bahamas, but I did serve a council in Michigan for several years. Several of our troops would attend a camporee in Canada. This was a while back, but for a time the Canadian Customs agents expected anyone taking kids that were not their own to have a copy of the child's birth certificate.

It couldn't hurt to have those with you. I'm not aware of any custody form (not issued by the BSA anyway,) but it's hard to steal a kid, let alone with a copy of his birth certificate.

DS

As a Notary Public for my territory, I would suggest that you have an attorney draw up your paperwork.

You can check with your district or council to network for a lawyer who is involved with Scouting through them or NESA. Many Lawyers who are Eagles are willing to help out the Scouts but check with them first. Some may even take your unit on as a "Pro Bono Case", if not then they'll usually charge a small fee.

eisley is correct that the language of the instrument must comply with your state.

The instrument you're looking for is basically a special power of attorney that provides you authorization to act in the place of the scout's guardian or parent to seek medical treatment.

As for covering yourself, My advice would be to follow the Guide to Safe Scouting. Any parental permission form is only worth the paper its printed on, notarized or not.

Make sure your accident insurance is updated before you leave.

Have Fun,

Matua(This message has been edited by matuawarrior)

jtburgess,

We dealt with this issue going to Canada this past summer. We had permission slips, permission to treat, birth certificates, and parental releases to travel to Canada signed by both parents for every Scout. Had it all in a binder alphabetized for easy reference for the Canadian Customs folks. We were feeling pretty good about our preparation until we went through the gates. The first car through had the binder, and all of our cars (9 I think) lined up behind it. The SM handed the binder over to the agent, who proceeeded to berate the SM, and every driver after that, about how difficult we made her job because we hadn't separated this paperwork and distributed to each car.

Once you get together everything you think you'll need, take my advice and pass it out to the specific cars. It'll save you a lot of grief.

Mark

If you go to www.batelnet.bs/customs.htm you'll find all kinds of phone numbers for Bahamas Customs. You can ask them what you need.

Of course, like any beaurocracy, I'm sure reality will differ.

DS

Yeah, getting through customs is not so easy with minors. When we took our Troop mountaineering expedition to Mexico, each Scout had in his posession his passport, a letter in Spanish stating that he had both parent's permission and to travel with the group and their signatures, the ASM names, and the hotel name and number in Mexico City at which we stayed.

The other obvious rules as we were in the City there. Never go out alone, always in a pretty big group, watch out for your friends, never take the "green VW taxis" but only those that the hotel called for us (some kidnappings and ransoms were done a couple of years ago). And of course the don't drink, smoke or otherwise behave badly (not so easy when any gringo can do so at any age). Oh, yeah...no shorts. (Be aware of the local customs and comply with them).

• 2 months later...