Philmont - scout or adult take open slot?

For the following should a scout go or an adult?

Parameters: Philmont allows 2 - 4 adults and the remaining as scouts (age limits apply) but rank is NOT an issue.

For fear that too many scouts would apply our tour leader established a rqmnt that scouts needed to be first class or above by a certain date. Originally we were going to have 4 adults. Then a scout did not make the first class rqmnt by the date and subsequently his dad said that he, as one of the original adults plugged in to go, would not now go. Therefore we had an open spot originally slated for an adult. Rec'd buy-in from scoutmaster to go with scouts on waiting list first then adults. Third boy on list accepted. Problem--- tour leader did not check to see if boy was first class. He wasn't first class. Boy was told he could go by tour leader. After it was discovered, boy mapped out a plan to get to first class before going to Philmont. The dad for the original boy that didn't meet rqmnt has now said his boy is not ready. There is an adult that declared long ago that if an opening came up he would like to join his son (son already going) and go on this trek.

Your thoughts????

Hi

I'm a little confused, but I think you are asking if you should fill the empty slot with an adult or scout. I'm always for giving a scout a wonderful experience, but I also enjoy giving a father the opportunity to watch his son in action.

You need to evaluate if the adult will add or take away from the crews experience. I had three crews go to Philmont three years ago. Two of the three crews had complaints about the adults. In one crew, five scouts quit our troop after the trek. Yes, he was that bad.

The one crew that had no problems only had two adults who were not active leaders in the troop. They were two dads who had never been on a campout with their sons and took advantage of the opportunity to have a once in a lifetime experience with their son. Since the adults had never camped with scouts, the scouts had to take care of them. Everyone in this crew had a great time. My older son who was 16 at the time says now that he learned a lot about patience and serving from that trek.

I once heard that Philmont was looking to make some changes because the number one complaint from the scouts was adults taking over the crews. As far as I know, nothing was changed though, I am not sure what you could do.

So adults can make or break the experience. We also had a slot open a month ago and I talked one of our 18 year old ASMs into going. With my 20 year old son and this 18 year old ASM going as two of the four adults, many scouts have commented they wished they had signed up with our crew. As for me, I get to watch both my sons in action. I love this scouting stuff.

When are you going, we will be there the last two weeks of June.

Barry