Parents and Camping trips

Thank you for welcome LauraT.

fotoscout:

I suggest that you continue to shop around your district for a youth-led unit. That unit can't be the only choice. If you can't find one, Start one. You need 5/5 -- 5 adults and 5 youth.

I am sure that you'll find a unit that you and your son will enjoy.

God Bless,

Larry

• 3 weeks later...

Id like to post an update to close out this thread. None of the boys chose to join the particular troop that I was concerned about. I suspect the parents had a lot to do with it. The boys will be joining our local troop (same CO), which if anything is the polar opposite of the first troop.

A few days ago I received a phone call from one of the ASMs of the first troop. He wanted to know what our boys thought of his troop? I told him in very plain words that there was great concern about their policy of not allowing adults on trips. Then there was a pause, and a deep breath. The next comment from him was this, The SM did it again.

Apparently, this SM has a delivery style that might need some tweaking. The truth seems to be that although they prefer that dozens of parents dont accompany them on trips, they will allow them along with some very clear guidance. So the lessons here are very clear, know who is promoting your Pack or Troop, and stop to do a reality check every once and while.

Thanks for the reassurance.

I am so glad to hear you have choosen another troop. There were obvious Youth Protection policies being broken here, not to mention the other issues of shutting out parents and potential leaders. It sounds like you made the right choice!

foto,

Thanks for the update. As the ASM said, they allow parents with guidance.....but I think that is what the rest of the leadership does. I think that deep down, the SM does not want parents along and only tolerates it because he has to. I don't think it is just poor presentation or choice of wording. Your boys and their parents made a wise decision in choosing the other troop. The ASM and other leadership needs to confront this problem before they die out for lack of new scouts.

Parents are allowed on our campouts, but must camp in the adult area. Of course, cub scouts that come with a parent to a Boy Scout campout may sleep with their parent; following youth protection guidelines. Each patrol has its own campsite. The boys may not enter the adult area without their patrol leader. This is to encourage the scouts to go through their chain of command to solve problems or ask questions prior to asking an adult. This does not preclude a boy from seeking an adult if problems are not addressed. Parents are asked to encourage this approach, but are not forbidden from speaking to their children, of course. Parents can go to the patrol site where their children are to visit, instead of children coming to them. We love having parents along, we put them to work! :) Any troop that discourage parental involvement needs to be examined by their local council.