Looking for some suggestions for a whitewater outing for Boy Scout Troop that is located in South Suburbs of Chicago.

Alternately, looking for a canoeing/camping outing suggestion.

Thanks for your help.

JPS

Fox River by Yorkville, there is a couple of campgrounds right by the river. There is a place in Yorkville that rents canoes and you can canoe down to your campground. I think the campground we stayed at was Hide a Way, It is a RV park, but down by the river is tents only.

A little white water on the Fox River in Wisc.

Kanakee River is also nice and the Kanakee State Park is right on the river.

try this

http://www.woodalls.com/outactiv/states/usa_il.cfm

The City of South Bend, IN has the East Race Waterway, a man-made Whitewater course,about 1/4 mile long. They charge a nominal fee per ride and supply kayaks or tubes. They do have a rather short season though -

beginning of June till mid August.

• 3 weeks later...

Troop 5 from Cape Girardeau, Missouri went to Western North Carolina,Eastern Tennessee last August for 5 days of whitewater rafting and canoeing. Had 36 Scouts of all ages and they had a blast ! Stayed with (www.noc.com) at their hostel basecamp. canoed/rafted the Nantahala (class II/III), Chattooga sec.4 (class III/IV), and the Ocoee rivers (class IV/V). The outfitter is 1st rate but fills up fast for the summer season.

For Whitewater This Year:

Go East! The Rocky Mountains are likely going to experience the 4th year of a drought.

Check this webpage for water levels in all states: http://water.usgs.gov/realtime.html

It looks like none of the rivers in The Rockies are going to be very good this year, including the Arkansas, Colorado etc.

On a normal year, these provide lots of fun, and have plenty of outfitters on them. One Scout oriented outfit that actually trains Scouts to run their own boats is High Plains Outdoors, www.hpoiadventure.com

Idaho seems to be having a fairly decent snow year. This opens the Main Salmon, Middle Fork of the Salmon, and if you are really gutsy, try the Payette. I recommend Warren River Expeditions for the Salmon, www.raftidaho.com.

My Troop has luckily snagged a private permit on the San Juan River this year by winning the river lottery, but we have our own boats. We will also try the Snake in Jackson this year for somewhat better water.

I have been a private and professional white water boater for more than 20 years, and if you contact me privately I will be glad to pass on some good tips.

JB