Philmont - how to get there?

Our (Delaware) troop was 1 of the lucky ones to secure a slot for a 2004 trek in August. While some of the Scouters who will be going have been before, we'd like to get some current feedback about actually getting to Philmont once we fly in to (????). I checked the previous threads, but didn't see this issue discussed.

Looking for suggestions on: 1) ideal place to fly into, 2) how to get from that location to Philmont [charter bus, van rentals, local (private) shuttling services as are available along the Appal. Trail], and 3) how to return to departure city for flight home [which wouldn't necessarily be the same as the arriving city].

Any suggestions would be most appreciated, including other internet references, etc.

Many thanks! YIS,

Craig Hall

Hi Craig,

Sorry it took so long to see this post. My family and I are driving out to Philmont from Illinois for the fourth year in a row. We take a different path each year. If however I was going with a trek crew I would definitely take the train. Amtrak has group rates to Philmont. You end up at the station in raton and the camp has a bus that brings you the rest of the way. It is the easiest and probably the most time efficient and cost effective way to get there as a group.

Bob White

From Ohio, we're partial to flying; trains aren't quite as convenient and take precious time. (But I'd like to try it once!) Last summer we flew into Colorado Springs and hung around for a day to acclimate to the higher altitude - a local church made us welcome and helped keep our costs down. Contracted with a local charter van service to take us to Philmont and back for ~$100/Scout.

If you can pick up your plane tickets early you can save a bundle but its a bigger job than it looks! We found costs were very similar from Colorado Springs or from Albuqurque(sp?) but like the mountain scenery better!

Lastly consider your arrival time at Philmont; we thought mid to late morning was ideal and kept registration hassles to a minimum.

Have a great trip!

I was with a group that used Amtrak in 1995. If you have the time, it is a good way to do this trip. The major issue is making connections. If you are coming from Delaware, I presume you would change trains in Chicago. Amtrak's terrible on time performance makes this risky. There was a group that had to lay over in Chicago because Amtrak did not get them to Chicago in time to make their connection.

Last summer we flew into Albuqurque (sp?). I don't know about Colorado Springs, but Southwest has very good connections to Albuqurque and, of course, has good fares. It is about a three hour drive. The advisor information you will receive lists various ground transport services you can contact.