Going to Philmont in Summer 03

I've got the honor to go back to Philmont. Last time I went was the summer of 1980 as a youth. My main concerns are the backpack. I currently use a GI ALICE large pack for local troop camping. I know packs have come a long way. Any suggestions or ideas as what to get.

YIS

Cary P

Might be old fashioned, but I wouldn't give up my Kelty external framed pack. Might buy the larger Super Tioga in place of the Trekker just for the additional volume, but either one is an outstanding value. Adjustable as well! There's a place for everything somewhere; lots of pockets.

I would look closely at the water bladder access however; when you're filling that thing up several times a day (ie Philmont) it might be nice to get at it more easily - might try hanging mine outside somewhere next time. Have a great trip!

You should check out some of the other threads under this classification on backpacks. You can do a search. There are some excellent points made.

I own only one pack, an external frame pack that has served me well. The principle advantage that I see in internal frames is the advantage in trekking in difficult terrain. Having been to Philmont twice now, I can say that none of the trails I went on were so difficult as to make the external frame pack a problem.

Personal preferences aside (mine is a Kelty, cannot beat an external frame for hauling weight over distance in comfort), try several different packs at a good outfitter, esp. if they can be rented. If it fits and feels good- and has the capacity, should do well.

Try EMS, REI, or any good outfitter.

Enjoy your trek!

BTW: Philstaff 87-92

• 4 months later...

My son went to Philmont last year and, in spite of having a good pack which fitted him (that's the first concern I think) the hip strap broke and a cotter pin came loose. So my suggestion is to make sure you bring some duct tape and extra cotter pins or fasteners JIC, and try on several packs with gear or such in it to get a sense of how it feels loaded up. BTW, it was a great experience for him! Good luck!