Backpacks -- Internal vs External frame

Mike

I just received my new Dana Terraframe, based on your terraplane w/external frame. It came on reccommendation from a friend. I couldn't pass up getting a $315 pack for $99 at Northernmountain.com . I haven't used it yet but it is really built tough, has lots of storage and load carrying capability, plus a removable top that acts as a fanny pack where I will keep my essentials. I've always used an external because here in the south, the pack against my back is terribly hot. I finally had to give up my 30 year old Jansport. I now let new scouts borrow it until they get their own. Check out the site above because they offer smaller packs also.

Doug

I just got a good deal on the Dana Design Glacier Internal Frame Pack from Northern Mountain. It is a $300 pack for $179 and well worth it. But we went on a Philmont shakedown last week and I borrowed a Dana Design Terraframe for my son who outgrew his Jansport. During the hike, he complained the Terraframe was too small, so we traded packs. Wow, Very comfortable and now I'm thinking I should have saved $80 and bought it instead of my internal Frame.

I've also notice that Sierra Trading Post was selling the Kelty Tioga for around $85. That is another great pack for about half the price. I could not find it on the Web site, but it is in my catalog. Worth checking out.

It's hard to be spending less than $100 for a good pack.

Happy Trails

Barry