This is about the time High Adventure plans for 2003 are being made and firmed up. What are some of you planning for next summer? Our PLC has decided to go down to Lake Cumberland Kentucky and spend a week aboard a houseboat! We've done this before, and while not the traditional high energy activity, its loads of fun and you really get to know your older boys living in close confinement for a week? What are you others planning?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Scoutmaster Ron

Got a route in mind?? What summer month?? Total miles per day. Maybe I can offer you some alternative roads to think about (whenever I get the chance, I ride my Trek from Modesto to Yosemite, Yosemite to Bodie, Bodie to 52 via 108, across the wilderness to Arnold via Big Trees State Park, Arnold to California Caverns to Angel Camp. Angel Camp to Oakdale via 4 and back into Modesto....about 15 days in all

Bob White

A premature welcome to NC. If you are going to be rafting the Nantahala River, be aware that the water is about 48 degrees even in the summer. The water is discharged from the bottom of the lake. Have them eat right and dress right and know the signs of hypothermia. Have a great trip

Doug

Well, we're thinking of XC skiing on 10th mountain for a luxury tour (ie. huts), ice climbing, a winter 14er (hikeup only), and maybe sea kayaking on Lake Powell. For the summer we will try to pull a permit on the Green, or maybe the Yampa (!).

jb

"1. Canoe trip BWCA

2. Hike in Isle Royale"

Some of my friends who have done both suggest that instead of the hike on Isle Royale, consider kayaking around it. They say the best campsites are kayak accessible. I have not been to Isle Royale, but I sure am partial to paddling.

Where are you looking to put in for the BWCA trip?

This may be blasphemous to some, but in I have canoed the Boundary Waters numerous times, and would recommend checking some of the private outfitters instead of Somers. I have used both, and the equipment, food, and services provided by the private outfitters was worth the few additional dollars per day.

North Country Canoe Outfitters in Ely is owned by a life long scouter originally from the Chicago area and provides excellent scout packages. He is an Eagle Scout and Silver Beaver, so he knows the program.

If you've never been there, this is some of the finest canoeing waters in the world. Have a great time!

eagle90

Using the local boys in Ely or any other town is greatly appreciated by the folks up there. One thing I might suggest to anyone looking to use the BWCA is don't just look at Ely or the Gunflint. There are some great trips that a bit more off the beaten path. Northern Minnesota has some other trips outside of the BWCA that are really great. If you are going to Ely you might want to check out the Soudan Underground Mine State Park. The North Shore of Lake Superior is beautiful.