Question about temporary patch placement for leaders..

When I looked on the web for an insignia placement guide for leaders, I was surprised to learn that the leaders are supposed to wear the temporary (optional) patch ABOVE the right pocket, not on the pocket. I have never seen this done(I've been a leader for 3 years, in two different states).

I've only seen the temporary patches hang from the button on the right pocket.

If this is the wrong way to wear them, how are people affixing their temporary patches and changing them?

I have looked at official guides and templates on the web, and they give conflicting information. Some say that male leaders wear them on the pocket, but not female leaders. Another said tan shirts=on the pocket, yellow shirts=above the pocket. I'm confused.....

A lot of what you read on the internet (including this board) is a persons opinion or perception not BSA program. Always use an official BSA resource. Check the Insignia Guide 2002-2004 manual, available at your local scouting service center.

Temporary patches are displayed on the right shirt pocket, red brag vest, or on the back of the Merit Badge sash.

Bob White

(This message has been edited by Bob White)(This message has been edited by Bob White)

I don't have the Insignia Guide, but I did download the official uniform inspection sheet from the BSA official website.

For female leaders, it does say to wear temporary patches ABOVE the right pocket!!!!

I'm as surprised as Webelosmom. Guess I just had never read it that close.

I sometimes wear the temporary patches that have a loop, so you can just put it on your pocket button. Well, how can I put this....It is a bit uncomfortable and awkward to wear. You may have noticed our "shirt pocket areas" are built different.

I've got the 1999-2001 guide so this may have changed, but it states that female leaders wearing either the traditional yellow CS leader blouse or the optional tan leader blouse may wear one temp insignia centered above the BSA strip. Females in Boy Scouting and Venturing place the temp insignia the same as on the men's shirt.

So, my take is it's only for CS female leaders.

Doug

OK everyone who has been waiting for this moment mark your calendar. This proves that scouting isn't what you think it is it's what the BSA says it is.

There is a paragrapgh in the 20o2-2004 insignia guide that says Female Cub Leaders in the Yellow blouse or optional Tan shirt have the option to wear their one temporary patch centered above the BSA strip over the right pocket.

Females in the Boy Scout and Venturing programs use the pocket as do the male leaders.

I sit before you a humbled servant. I should have checked before I answered.

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

Bob White,

I think you need to give us 10 push ups and get up in front of the group and sing "I'm a Little Teapot" for your infraction. Also, you have weekend duty at the "virtual" latrine for our "virtual" troop.

hehehehe