I would like to have some of the older scouts in our troop explore kayaking. One of the options I would like to present to them is building their own kayaks.

I have heard that Roy Underhill has some good plans for a cheap kayak, but that the result is a rather heavy boat. Anyone try it?

Has anyone actually built a kayak with scouts and has some advice? References and resources?

Yes, I know that I can buy a kit, but it might be hard to convince them to spend the money and time to build some of those beautiful boats.

Thanks,

JPS

jps,

I have not built one, but have seen a number of them built from the plan on this link. Along with my scouting I am a member of the Minnesota Canoe Association. I have talked with the owners of these craft and they appear to be quite happy with the performance. They are built with plywood (1/4" marine, I think) and aren't as heavy as you might fear. They appear to be a good deal easier and faster to build than a cedar strip canoe. I have been thinking about building one myself.

We have a boat show in February at the Har Mar Mall near St. Paul. It is usually the second weekend. If you are ever in the Twin Cities, let me know and I will find some folks who can show you the ropes.

Link to the MCA boatbuilding webpage

http://www.canoe-kayak.org/pages/plans.html

Good luck. Email me if you want anything else.

• 1 month later...

Well, whatever the type, kayaking is lots of fun from flat water to white water, and is frankly easier to teach and do than canoeing. We have flatwater kayaks with watertight compartments, and the kayaks can utilize spray skirts (which can be hand made).

One way to see if you like these boats and this type of outing is to find an outfitter that rents them. For instance I have thought about kayaking on Lake Powell, UT, and the website there states that you can rent the boats...why not try it!!