campin, cookin, survival tidbits

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, altar is a better spelling. Like the idea of the swedish chimney. One of the things I have found suggests 3 logs 6-8 in in dia. about 2 feet long. one procedure said to bury the bottom ends a couple to inches in the ground to stabilize the fire. This one built the teepee fire on the outside of the logs on the upwind side and allowed the fire to burn into the center. Said to increase the heat generated.

Thanks for the input keep the ideas coming.

Has anyone built the pepsican stove yet. I'm working on one slowly.

YIS

Don Johnson's Photon Stove is a pepsi can stove that works great but is rather difficult for the typical Scout to build. I like Sgt. Rock's Cat Stove better. It boils water just as fast and can be made in about 4 minutes. The hole punch (2" throat) needed for the pepsi can stove is $69.00. If you combine the Cat Stove with a Walmart Grease pot you can outfit your Scouts with Stove and cookpot for around $6.95 that only wieghs 8 oz. and build them at a typical meeting. If you would like to check out these and other designs try:

http://wings.interfree.it/

our boys tried this and loved it!

muffins in an orange

take a med orange and cut off top 1/3rd. hollow out shell without breaking the rind "bowl" and "lid" - eat the orange pieces, or put them in a baggie and squish 'em for orange juice.

put muffin mix in baggie, add wet ingredients mix up and pour/ sqeeze into hollowed out orange (about 1/2 the orange full) place cap on top and place in fire coals to bake. (can wrap in foil if you want, but not necessary.

about 15 min - depends on heat - pull out and peel your muffin.

The muffin takes on the orange flavor - and the only dishes to wash are silverware!

We also tried eggs in the orange - and lined the orange with bacon (pre-cooked)so it wouldn't stick to the orange rind so much. Tasted great! but the egg is a little to runny (muffin mix is thicker) - lots of them tip over before they congeal enough to stay put.

it helps if you look for a flat spot on the orange to be the "bottom" before you cut the "top" off.

Poket knife apple pie

utensils

Dutch oven

pocket knife

charcoal

ingredients

2 pre-made pie shells in aluminum foil tins

4-7 apples

sugar

cinnamon

butter

peel apples and slice into 1 pie shell - sprinkling in layers apples, pats of butter, cinnamon sugar, apples, pats of butter, cinnamon sugar, etc.

Turn 2nd pie shell over first to make top of pie crust. Cut 3-5 holes in crust for escaping steam and pinch edges to bottom crust to seal.

Take empty pie tin and place upside down in center of dutch oven. (if you're afraid of drips, you can line oven with foil first -depends on how juicy your apples are)place pie on top of empty tin - put lid and dutch oven - bake until the smell draws all the drooling scouts & scouters.

cut pie with trusty scout knife - serve on napkins, cups or just let everyone dig in!

MMMMM!

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, how about what kind of tents your troop uses and why? Also would like to know what the thoughts are on internal vs external backpacks and when one should be used over another. Levoueger, you seem to be a minimalist packer, what do you use? And why?

Also, what has been tried and not worked?

YIS

Well, let's see, I have the following

Lowes Alpine Countour III (internal, bought in 1984)

Granite Gear Arete (internal)

Jansport D5 (external)

Lowes Alpine Cloud (internal)

And, I'll soon be acquiring a Lynn Welden Pound Plus pack, about 24oz

If I'm peak bagging, I like the Jansport as I can strap more esoteric gear to it (pickets, deadmans, crampons, etc, You can also rig cheap skis, from Goodwill on the frame and turn it into a load bearing sled. Use skipoles, or hiking staffs to hitch into and haul away).

For moving fast and lite, the small size of the Arete forces me to use less..

For deserts, where I've got to hump a lot of water than the Contour for better weight control...

Both the Arete and Cloud are used as assult packs when pushing for a summit...The Arete tends to be the better has it has two ice axe loops, as well as a pocket for the snow shovel....

Stew in an onion.

1 large onion cut in half don't peel

ground meat or stew meat

seasoning to taste

cheese

veggies

Remove all but the last two outer layers of the onion. Place ingredients inside & place on coals. Excellent, tasty & no clean-up!

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1

1 Peter 4:10

All seriousness aside, an onion makes a great cooking vessel. You can do the same thing with a bell pepper, cut it lenghtwise, add in ground beef or a small bit of cubed steak and veggies and sit back, (far back so you dont kick ashes in your dinner) Or you can stuff the onion or pepper with natures second most perfect food.

The second most perfect food? Why Bisquick of course.

You make the batter really thin, you make crepes

You make the batter thin, you make pancakes

You make the batter thicker, you make waffles

You make it thicker yet and put it in your pepper and place it on the coals for a biscuit

Add some eggs and sugar, put it in a dutch oven and make cobbler of your choice.

You dice up some Spam and mix it in the bisquick and fry it, or bake it (or if you're Ed, dump it)

Spam and Bisquick can also be combined with a little marinara sauce and mozzarella and mushrooms and a dutch oven and you have campfire pizza Throw on the onion pieces you pulled out and slice up the other half of the green pepper and you'll never want to go home.

Ok, so this post want all utensiless cooking, but I did manage to work in Spam, Pizza, and Bisquick, the staff of life.(This message has been edited by OldGreyEagle)

• 4 weeks later...

As this is a topic dear to me and a source for wisdom. I bring it back.

Give up the ideas, what is old hat to many is new to others.

Such as, using an altoid tin to burn char cloth. (got that from a link suggested). Made a stove from a dog food can and cat food can that will boil two cups of water in 2 to 3 minutes.

If no suggestions then ask questions.

YIS