As everyone knows, or at least should know, one of the most important safety considerations while hiking and backpacking, or engaging in any other strenuous outdoor activity, is staying properly hydrated. Some people use simple water bottles. Others used bladders, that go under different names, with a flexible hose providing constant access to the water. I would be interested in people's opinions on different systems and the kinds of problems they may have encountered with them.

I laughed at hydration systems when I first saw them.

"How nice, something else to blow cash on."

Then I got one and won't hike without it.

First off it is a very bad idea to put anything acidic in the bladder. It will weaken the seams, and knowing scouts, grow some pretty nasty science experiments if not cleaned very throughly. If you just must put gatoraid in it I'd suggest you get a system with a wide mouth opening so cleaning is easier.

If you hike in cold weather the neoprene covers do work to keep your lines from freezing but I found that if it boil water in the morning and cut it 50/50 with outside temp water that my line won't freeze. (at least in the 20 to 30 temp range, it probably won't work if colder)

My favorite set up is the first need hydration system with a built in water filter. Just open the bladder scoop in water from your water source and drink. No pumping. (Be sure you don't get the bite valve in the water source) The problem with this set up is if you need to get your water from a seep or shallow pool then a pump will work much better. I've had to get water out of some very undesireable spots that for now I'm still pumping.

The only real problem that I have seen with hydration systems is that sometimes the hose or bladder gets kinked. Backpacks with internal hydration sleeves are notorious for this, plus you have to practicly unpack you geasr to get it straightened out. Be sure you locate it somewhere that it won't be a pain to get to if you need to adjust it. Scouts that are new to using them I'd suggest checking their setup before backpacking. Lots of times scouts get lazy and choose to simply not drink if the tube gets kinked. Don't let that happen.

Right now I'm using the old Gregory brand Mirage cell. The bite valve is very leaky and of poor construction. The new versions look nice but are heavy.

Several of my scouts use the Camelbak unbottle. Well constructed easy to clean nice bite valve.

Platypus looks chintzy but are stronger than I would think. The zip top models sometimes spring open, the bite valves are nice and are probably the lightest on the market. (for you weight watchers out there)

Even if you do get a hydration system be sure you also carry a water bottle and duct tape. If your bladder blows out you don't want to be left literally high and dry.

Hmmm... I see those hose and bag arrangements and ask myself, What is the problem that is being solved here, and is this the best way to solve it?

The problem is that the human body must be kept hydrated. Water must be drunk before the effects from lack of it occur. The body needs regular intake of water but is not so sensitive that intake must equal usage on a minute by minute basis. A sip of water every two minutes is no more effective than a cup every 30 minutes.

I carry a cheap throw-away water bottle tied onto my pack with a length of cord. The cord is tied to a rubber O-ring that fits over the neck of the bottle.

Ill bet John Muir would not have hiked with a hose in his mouth.

Some of the boys in the troop think these bags are "cool" and want to get one. Could someone explain how a hose and bag is better than a canteen or plastic water bottle?

Lots of our Philmont crew used the bladder system this year; mostly Platypi(?) I think the convenience really contributed toward keeping their water intake up. Gotta make a conscious effort to grab a bottle when you're away from your pack for any length of time however! Watch yourself at the end of the hiking day when you're still equalizing that water debt and your pack is way over yonder - another contributor to late afternoon/early evening headaches.

And yes refilling them is a pain but you might try using a 1/4" tubing coupler from the hardware store (nylon is preferred and lighter too!) and connect your water filter output straight into the drinking tube.

Watch R&Ring that fragile bite valve though.

Think that I'll try to hang mine on the outside next time in some sort of homemade absorbent fabric holster if that's not too tacky - rather than give up a precious pocket. Perhaps a zip-off camo pant leg?

Would also make side hikes with a fanny pack easier...

O yes and a spare lid (for sealing up the bladder during filling and reloading) and a bite valve can be real handy! I'll certainly use mine again...

I've never owned a pack where it was easy to reach my water bottle. Getting water meant a pack off break and sometimes I don't want to stop but I do want to drink.

Convenience is the key factor in choosing a cell over a bottle. Quick access to water, holds more water, collapses smaller when empty, lighter, easier to drink while moving (kinda hard to do with a wide mouth nalgene), when you fetch water at the end of the day you can carry more water with less fuss (one 110oz cell and filter Vs 3 32oz nalgenes or 5 20oz soda bottles and a filter. In my mind the only time bottles win is in freezing temps.

In a day of backpacking I will empty that 110oz cell by the time I reach camp. No, I don't keep the hose in my mouth, I keep it clipped to my shoulder strap.

I use a quick disconnect spliced into my line to refill mine. I just connect my filter to the line and pump it full.

I also don't put it in a pocket. I lay it under the top flap of my pack and cinch down the flap. Holds it just fine.

Oh yes, one problem with the Camelbak unbottles, the hose is too short.

John Muir also used to hike 30+ miles in a day. I don't care to be like John.

I can see numerous advantages to a bladder and hose, but I guess I am still too old fashioned. In my mind the bladders lack flexibility.

In our recent Philmont trek three scouts were using different kinds of bladders, including my own son. We had a layover with a day hike and a scheduled stop by a field commissary to pick up more food. My initial hope was that we could minimize the number of packs we were going to empty and take along. The fact that three scouts were using bladders made it impossible to come up with a fair solution, so everybody took their packs although that was more pack capacity than we needed.

I used a hybrid system. I bought a hose and a cap compatible with the nalgene bottles. It was functional but not without problems of its own. Since the bottles were not flexible I had to pressurize the bottle somewhat by blowing forcibly into the hose before I could draw any water.

For me, the bladder systems (Platypus, CamelBak, etc) are ok but lack the flexibility of the Nalgene bottles. You can perhaps carry a larger quantity of water in the bladders, but the Nalgene allows easy attachment to water filters, although some bladders do too. You can add flavoring to the water then clean the bottle when you're done, you can drop a Nalgene on a sharp rock without breaking it, etc., and with many backpacks, the outer mesh pockets hold the Nalgene bottles perfectly. To me, they're the only way to go.

Having seldom used any of these items I can't really provide an objective opinion. But a warning is in order as I've seen both adults and scouts wear these systems over their PFD's on the river. With most Class 3 PFD rated for 15 pounds of floation, six pounds of water on your back could put the wearer in jeopardy. Better to strap it to a twart....

I agree with LeVoyageur that using bladder hydration systems strapped to your back over a PFD is a dumb idea. Presumably if one went into the water wearing such an arrangement, most of the apparatus would be below water and hence mostly neutral in buouancy. I would think as a general principle no hydration system should be used that might interfere with the activity at hand.

• 4 months later...

I have a cheap hydration pack from Wal-mart ( yes, I basicly live off Wal-mart) and I would say only get one of those cheap as a starter item. I plan to buy a LBE rig from a military surplus store (imsplus.com) so I will have a canteen. I am also going to either buy a Camelback or Hydrastorm system. At local camps that I lead hikes at, I have heard several questions about what in the world I had. It works well and I highly recomend a high quality one for any hiker.

I'm from the KISS school of backpacking and don't like the clutter of bags and hoses.

Since I rarely hike alone, it's pretty rare for me to need to drop pack to grab water bottle -- that's what buddies are for.

I liked FScouter's idea about length of cord with O-ring on bottle! I'll try that in Canada this summer!!

I generally use both the camelback and a water bottle. I have a slip-on water bottle holder that rides on my hip belt (purchased thru campmor) where I keep a 1 liter bottle. The only down side to this set-up is the bottle sometimes rubs my arm while hiking. I put my camel back just under the upper flap of my pack. If the 1 liter runs dry (rare) I can pull the hose out the top of my pack and press on. The camelback I use for short side trips and around camp. It gives me plenty of water without tying up my hands or weighing down one side of my britches (like a canteen) Mine also has a small pocket just the right size for my first aid kit.

Mike Long, Being here in Texas we don't have too much freezing to deal with but the few times it's been below 32 I've put the whole camelback under my outer jacket and it has been fine. The slightly warmer water feels very good going down too.

I plan on getting a CamelBack Thermobak 3L in olive drab. It should be more than enough water for the hiking I do because I live where the temps. dont get to any extremes. I also dont do backpacking though I would like to try that. It would be nice to be able to carry everything with me without having to carry a big backpack. I would carry a 1L canteen too just in case something was to happen to my Camelbak.

I plan on getting a CamelBack Thermobak 3L in olive drab. It should be more than enough water for the hiking I do because I live where the temps. dont get to any extremes. I also dont do backpacking though I would like to try that. It would be nice to be able to carry everything with me without having to carry a big backpack. I would carry a 1L canteen too just in case something was to happen to my Camelbak.

Non-scientific only: Scouts with hydration systems drink more water, and stay "effective" longer than Scouts with bottles/canteens. They also make a field expedient shower if you need one. I'd recommend putting nothing in them except water, though. The flavor can leach into the plastic, and you'll be tasting it for months.

My son uses one too, and one of our first routines after coming back from outings is draining, rinsing, and hanging upside down to dry (the hydration system, not the boy).

Frozen drink tube? Blow back into the tube after each drink so there's nothing but air in there. I've got the neoprene sleeve on my CamelBak Mule, and just used it on a January mountain hike up to 6,000 feet. Cold, windy, snowy, no hydration system problems, but saw frozen bottles.

Embrace technology when it serves you...

KS