Definitely sunblock. Be generous in your application of this marvel of modern chemistry. Altitude, arid climate, and almost constant sunny days are a potent recipe for a quick, painful sunburn. Don't skimp! [i unfortunately speak from experience, and I'm no gringo, either.]

Also, bring lots of film for the memories and cash for the trading post.

Based on my experience in 1995, I would make the following observations.

1. Although it rains daily somewhere, if not everywhere, in the reservation, these rains are usually showers, not soaking rains. While rain gear is essential, everybody that I have ever talked to who took a rain suit found it not to be worthwhile.

2. In some areas there are more trails on the ground than appear on the map. It is easy to take a wrong turn. Check your map at every junction. While compasses are useful and necessary for orienting the map, the most useful navigation instrument we had was an altimeter in one of the other adult's watch. If you know what trail you are on and know the elevation, it is pretty easy to pick out your location, even in heavily forested areas where you can't see landmarks.

3. Avoid accepting breakfast packs that require a lot of preparation and cleanup, e.g. pancakes. You might want these for a layover, but you need to plan to hit the trail early each day. Avoiding a lengthy breakfast cleanup helps. This way you hike during the cooler part of the day and ensure hitting your destination in time to participate in the activities that await you.

4. Don't take along a lot of extra clothing. You will need pack capacity for food.

5. Keep up the physical training until departure. Advise your boys to avoid activities that may result in an injury. My son was scrubbed last June because he had an emergency appendectomy, so things do happen to keep people from going. Some such things the boys can control, and some, such as appendicitis, they can't.

Happy Trails to you!

• 2 weeks later...

Like all categories of backpacking equipment, there are tradeoffs of expense, weight, bulk and function in regard to tent stakes.

Most of the ground at Philmont is fairly hard and rocky. Seven to eight inch long plain skewer stakes will work pretty well at most campsites.

If you save money and take steel wire stakes, they will weigh more but can be straightened if the get bent by a rock. If you spend more money and take tempered aluminum stakes, you will save some weight but they are not eaisily straightened if bent.

The bottom line is, you will have so much fun that it will not really matter what kind of tent stakes you have!

1. Duct tape fixes almost everything Wrap some arond the outside of your water bottles.

2. There is no such thing as too good a sleeping pad, too good a pair of hiking boots, too dry a rain jacket, too light a pack.

3. No matter how bad you feel in the morning start wallking, you will start feeling better once you start moving.

4. It's not a race, go fast enough to get where you need to be and slow enough to appreciate where you've been.

5. Take care of each other. Your memories will be as much about your crew as your journey.

6. Sleep when it's time to sleep.

7. Drink water. Most health problems are related to dehydration.

8. Take care of your feet. Have well broken in boots, wear 2-pairs of socks, put on fresh socks during the day, treat irratations early, before they become blisters (mole skin).

9. Have fun, it's one of the prettiest places on God's earth.

10. Beware of any food that has the word "bar" in its description. ;)

(my personal opinion)

Bob White(This message has been edited by Bob White)

• 1 month later...

A few more camps are dry, so you'll need to haul a lot of water (I'd recommend bringing four or five water bottles). No showers, the only place we got them was at Cimarroncito.

All treks were in the South and Central country, but the North country is opening up soon.

• 2 weeks later...

We returned from our expedition last night, July 25. It was quite different from my experience seven years ago. The drought may now be broken. We got rain five days out of ten. I have never been so dirty in my life. Dust first, then mud. And that includes a lot of slogging around with Sam's army.

We were among the second group of crews allowed back into the North country after the fire. Not all of the North is yet open, and presumably will not be re opened until next season. One result of the fires is a new risk of flash floods. One of these passed down Ponil Creek about an hour and a half after we crossed it.

Additional suggestions:

Pack everything in zip locks as if you were going canoe camping. Take extra zip locks. My son and I were among the few with dry clothing available to change into.

Three water bottles should be sufficient. Even with reduced water supply, there is still enough for drinking and cooking. Some springs and creeks have gone dry, but, with careful planning, we had no problem. The best group water containers are the expensive dromedaries manufactured by MSR. We had two of these and they met our needs for a group of eleven.

They now have back country trading posts and post offices that I was not aware of. This came in handy for purchasing additional film and tent stakes.

Another thought that occurred to me. When we had our pack shakedown with our ranger, two of our boys were planning to carry three heavy large plastic bottles of Gatorade mix between them. Our ranger made clear that Gatorade mix was amply provided. These guys took their stuff along anyway and never opened it. You get individual packets of Gatorade mix with most meals, except breakfast. Please make this clear to any scout who is convinced that he needs his own personal supply. That is a lot of dead weight to be hauling around.