The boys went camping last night by themselves. I insisted that they "do it by the book." They assumed they needed a latrine (and so did I), but we couldn't find it in the scout book. I did find something in the 77 field book. What are scouts supposed to do when in an area without bathrooms? What is the boy scout way now?

Thanks,

Marcy

WE have encountered this in the past. What we did was dig a trench in an out of the way area & use that for the latrine. When we were leaving, we threw som sanitizer tablets in and covered it up with dirt.

Ed Mori

Scoutmaster

Troop 1(This message has been edited by evmori)

Basic rules of disposing of waste are found in the BSA Leave No Trace training and brochure. It includes;

>Pack it in, pack it out. Inspect your campsite and rest areas for trash or spilled foods. Pack out all trash, leftover food, and litter.

>Deposit solid human waste in catholes dug 6 to 8 inches deep at least 200 feet from water, camp, and trails. Cover and disguise the cathole when finished.

>Pack out toilet paper and hygiene products.

>To wash yourself or your dishes, carry water 200 feet away from streams or lakes and use small amounts of biodegradable soap. Scatter strained dishwater.

Bob White

Bob White is correct about the current LNT teaching. According to some of the LNT literature I looked at, it is now believed that human waste decays faster closer to the surface of the earth than buried deeper.

The idea of a cat hole is that everybody digs their own when needed, rather than create a single latrine.

There may still be circumstances where a common latrine may still be a more practical solution. In canyon country you may not have space for everybody to do their own thing.