Pack Lines and Internal Frames

Ok, I'm gonna sound like a total n3wb, but I recently joined a Philmont contingent from another troop, and unfortunatly, my old troops backpacking practices left ALOT to be desired....

I have owned my internal frame Kelty Redcloud [kelty.com] for a number of years, and this just hasn't come up before. When putting my unloaded pack on a pack rack or pack line, I am concerned that the weight of anything left in the top portion of the bag will weight down on and bend the stays. They are supposed to be the kind that you can bend back and forth to the correct shape, but I am worried about losing that shape and finding out about it on the trail when my pack doesn't sit right (I've had it long enough that its set up perfectly for me). Any comment/suggestions/advice is welcomed.

-dcviper

Assistant Scoutmaster, BSA Troop 3

PGP KeyID == 0xA81C9DCB

dcviper,

Welcome. I'm sure that when the rest of the group wakes up you will get a number of replys. Don't you just love having so many experienced Scouters to tap into, I love it.

I use an internal frame. I have been to Philmont twice with it as well as local week long backpacking treks and have nevr had the stays warp while in a pack line. I am not familiar with you style of pack but I own a Kelty external and judging from the quality of it I don't think your stays are going to be light enough to be distorted.

Just had a thought! When I went to Philmont as a youth we used external back boards and lashed our packs to them. Some of us had packs weighing 100 lbs. (Stories about how we snuck these past the rangers eyes). If you load the top with enough weight yes you can disfigure the stays, but with today's focus on lite and spartan you should be fine.

Have you personally tried to bend the stays before? They are not that easy to bend on purpose. They are supposed to be bent only on the inital fitting of the pack so are pretty beefy. The stay thickness is designed to carry weight and I very much doubt that you could put enough weight into the top compartment to bend them unless you like to carry large quantities of lead. The only other reasion you might have worries over stay distortion would be if the stays were bent every single time you went out for several trips. That might weaken the stays enough to make them pliable but I most strongly doubt it.

Your pack will be fine my friend, don't worry about it.