Great Troop Traditions

I'm trying to develop some traditions in our troop to develop more esprit de corps. If you have anything you think can build troop spirit, I'd love to hear it. One thing my jamboree troop did in 1989 was have a set of four marching drums we took with us (we had three really good drummers along with myself just trying not to look too bad) for campfires, shows, etc. We had cadences we marched to, cheers led by the drums, etc.

My boyhood troop had a wondeful tradition it did at the close of every campfire. Actually, always having some type of a campfire is a great tradition to have as well.

When the campfire was over, we always sang scout vespers and immediately went into singing Taps. after every line of taps, we hesitated while ONE SCOUT recited lines of the Scout Oath. Taps has 8 lines and the Scout Oath may be split into 7 phrases. The combination of the singing of Scout Vespers and then Taps along with the spoken scout law always sent chills down my spine. To be the person selected to speak the Scout Oath was a tremoundous honor usually reserved to the older scouts (best vocal volume) and was a sought after privilege. I think this would be a great tradition to start. The script would be as follows:

(SUNG)

Softly falls the light of day

As our campfire fades away

Silently each scout should ask

Have I done my daily task

Have I kept my honor bright

Can I guiltless sleep tonight

Have I done or have I dared

To do everything to be prepared

(Taps is sung, the SCOUT OATH is spoken)

Day is done ON MY HONOR

Gone the sun I WILL DO MY BEST

From the Lakes TO DO MY DUTY TO GOD AND MY COUNTRY

From the hills AND TO OBEY THE SCOUT LAW

From the sky TO HELP OTHER PEOPLE AT ALL TIMES

All is well TO KEEP MYSELF PHYSICALY STRONG,

MENTALLY AWAKE

Safely rest AND MORALLY STRAIGHT

God is nigh.

Wow... Grey Eagle, I like it!

Yeah.. I think a troop song sung/yell/chant at the start of all meetings works a treat. The same thing each time.

Each patrol can also make a flag, these flags get presented to the Patrol LEaders who follow and follow.

We have some flags been passed down through 6 generations. They stay with the PL who brings them on camp.

Im not sure if this counts as a tradition or not but we kept track of our outings by means of a Campers Totem. Its a belt totem much like this tiger cub one only with two leather thongs to hold the beads and made of plain leather. Each bead represented a different campout/outing. If I recall correctly, black was for rain, white for snow, blue for mild weather, round for summer camp etc. I seem to recollect our scout master, through his business, manufactured them for our troop. I dont know if this was something he invented or copied from another troop, but I do remember we were the only troop who wore them at summer camp and jamborees we attended and we were constantly asked about them. For all I know they are standard issue and commonplace now. I still have mine, furthermore I can remember receiving some of the special occasion beads. We had an unusually shaped bead for a two-week canoe portage through Canada, its fun trying to remember all the rest. Anyway, has anyone else seen or done this?

My boyhood troop had a simluar tradition. When earned my Eagle Scout, the Scoutmaster presented me with my last bead which was bird shaped in red,white and blue.

In addition, there were attendance beads that could traded up. White bead for one meeting, silver beads for 8, gold for 20 and a multicolored bead for a full year.

It was the responsiblity for a boy joining the troop to create his totem. They were made of leather blanks which was stamped with the BSA logo and our troop number. He would be shown how to stamp it, poke the holes, thread the thongs and so on. There is blank available for the Scout catalog and thru Tandy leather.

When I became Scoutmaster 10 years latter, I revived the tradition, but it has since been dropped. My troop recently got a new Scoutmaster,and as their Unit Commissioner, I will be suggesting the tradition be restored.

Our local roundtable has simular system for adult leaders, with beads for basic training, district and council events, training events etc. But this form is a necklace.

I didn't think so at the time. I felt it was a nice cap to my collection of Scouting adventures. When I revived the tradition, the Scouts thought the "eagle" bead was the neatest bead of all.

I had the honor presenting this bead to to a young man who went on to earn all three of his Eagle Palms, then entered the Air Force Academy.

IMHO the traditions should be maintained, not lost.

Shemgren

Thank you for your return. To this day, Ive been under the impression that we were the only troop with such a tradition, though its not a shock to think we werent alone. I do have a few questions, was your totem worn on the belt, did yours include outing/campout beads (fifty miler canoe trips and 20 mile pack trips were among some of the elite and most sought after beads), was your totem in anyway connected with the St. Louis Area Council? the Scoutmaster presented me with my last bead which was bird shaped in red, white and blue. I think that, in its self, it is a tribute to the to the icing on the cake, I can only imagine the pride one must have wearing it. In addition, there were attendance beads that could traded up. White bead for one meeting, silver beads for 8, gold for 20 and a multicolored bead for a full year. I think attendance and rank beads are a great idea and trading up the attendance beads certainly wont make the length overly long. I hope you can convince the new scoutmaster to continue the tradition, it may be a little labor intensive, but I cant think of a better or a more unique record of ones BSA experiences.

Brad

I got the beads at crafts stores. The bird bead is tough to find and I got four in a bead assortment I got.

Dedicated Dad

I was then and still am with Central Minnesota Council. While serving in the Air Force, I part of a on base troop in the Pine Burr Council, and they had a simular program.

On my totem I have a bead for the fifty miler award.

The Scoutmaster created his own color scheme for the beads.

Shemgren am with Central Minnesota Council. My reason for asking is that I saw the St Louis Area council had a write-up on the new Tiger Cub totem program and coincidentally that was my old council. I thought there might have been a connection. Anyway, I think its a great idea to make them yourself. I looked on the Tandy leather site, per your suggestion, and found the tools one would need to make the leather tabs.

Brad

I thought you might be interested. This is the tool I think you would use to punch the belt holes. oblong punch shemgren would you concur that this is the right tool for that? In addition to oblong punch you would need a hole punch for the two leather thongs. hole punch and heavy duty shears to cut the rectangular tabs. shears . I would use a heavy-duty hide, maybe 7-8 oz. 1/8. hide . And dont forget to stamp your tab with BSA and your troop number, of course you may have your own design for the tab.stamps Anyway, I dont think any of this is etched in stone. I had some free time to window shop/look at the Tandy site, just thought you might be interested in some quick links. Ours totems were supplied to us, I think it would have been a fun project to earn with your Scout rank. Good luck!

Dedicated Dad

I agree with you on your suggestion for the punch.

coolscout101

I fail to understand why you are constantly running down dedicated scouters like OGE, Dedicated Dad, and others. I have seen your postings on several threads, and you seem not to grasp to purpose of this forum: to allow scouters to share ideas and help solve problems for our fellow scouters.

We all serve Scouting to provide 1) Citizenship training, 2) Chartacter development and 3) Physical fitness.

I have served in the BSA for over 30 years and proud of it. This thread is reguarding the traditions of Scouting, that since 1910 has a rich history all across this great country of ours. I simply was sharing one the traditions of my troop.

I don't appreciate being called a HOBO!! I feel your posts are most

un-scoutlike.

If you feel this site is so stupid, perhaps you should look eslewhere for information.

I would implore to moderator of this site to block your deragortory comments.

Another tradition I'm starting in my troop is called the Book of Honor. When a Scout receives his rank at the Court of Honor, he'll sign his name in a special book I made up with pages for each rank. Right now, we only have a few signatures in it. However, I think after a few years, it will look pretty good with all the kids getting a chance to sign their name as another part of their progression to Eagle. Has anyone else done something like that and how did it work?