Camping Outside your Council

My son's best friend of 14 years moved to a neighboring state and has invited him to summer camp with his troop (which is in another council of course). It will be a bike trek for 1 week. My son is excited to go and has reciprocated the invitation to his friend to come to summer camp with our troop at a high adventure camp in NY. I was wondering if there are any rules against this. If this IS allowed what needs to transpire between the two troops and/or councils as far as records and paperwork? The boys miss each other very much and are looking forward to spending two weeks together this summer. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

It sounds like a wonderful friendship. The only rules really that I can think of are whatever is set by the host troop, and of course he will have to follow the sames rules and regs that cover the other scouts. Any advancement will have to be recorded through each scouts own home council.

As the host unit I would want written permission from the parents, a physical, and an emergency contact number or numbers where a parent could be contact at any time.

I hope they both have a great time.

Bob

There certainly is no reason why this sort of thing can't be done. These are the kinds of relationships scouting strives to encourage. We have a scout returning to go to summer camp with our unit. His father also still lives in this area. This same scout will do Philmont with the troop in 203.

A few suggestions. I do not know what ranks these boys are. Make sure that the scoutmasters of the units involved buy into the arrangements. Make sure that the boys have their books with them, and get them signed off appropriately. Also, equip them with blue cards for merit badges before they go on their visits. It would help if the boys had a plan for what advancement they may work on before they go. Make sure that your own advancement chair is aware of what is going on and gets the proper information recorded, such as nights camping, etc.

If funds are required find out what these needs are. (Silly me -- of course funds are required)

I agree with Bob White on another aspect of the deal. If I were the unit leader, I would insist on properly signed parental permissions etc.