I was down to our council office today and picked up a copy of the brochure for "The Oregon Trail Hike (Established 1843)." I have not hiked any of it, so I have no first hand knowledge of the trails, although I have played tourist near some of the trails. The brochure gives general information on the route, and award information. The Oregon Trail Hike awards have been approved by our Cascade Pacific Council, and include a patch and bronze, silver and gold medals. The brochure has a contact person, who will send more detailed info upon request. If you would like a copy of the brochure, contact me and I can get you a copy. It's not online that I can find, so it will have to go by mail. You can email me at rarussatty@aol.com.

The Oregon Trail is part of the National Trail system and is managed mostly by the National PArk Service. Sections of the trail are still on private property but most of the time access will be granted if you just ask the landowners. Information on trail routes and history is available from the National Park Service Long Distance Trails Office in Salt Lake City (801) 539- 4093.

Lots of good contact info on the NPS site.

http://www.nps.gov/oreg/oreg.htm

As far as a patch the only one I know of is the Historic Trails award that National offers.

Sounds like fun.

Oh yeah, a co-worker just told me he took his family on a week long conastoga wagon trip along the trail a few years back. Might be a fun option for a scout trip that everyone can do.