Our troop is fortunate in that many older boys keep comming to the meetings, what we havent done a good job of is providing activities for these veteran scouts. Most are either Eagle or just a few badges and the Project away. We have tried many approaches, but they seem to just want to visit and socialize. What have other troops done when this problem arises. As the father of a younger scout, I always thought it was a shame once a scout made Eagle they disappeared, now I realize we didnt make much of an effort to keep them around

When our troop had a lot of older Scouts (5-6 years ago), quite often they just wanted to hang out with each other. They were there for about 75% of the meetings (pretty good for 15-17 year olds). When we needed them to work with the younger Scouts, they were very good about it. Often, we found projects for them to do (work on troop equipment, etc.) where they could go off by themselves and socialize while they were working. As long as the Scouts are coming and helping out when needed, there's nothing wrong with allowing them time to socialize (out of sight of the younger Scouts).

• 2 weeks later...

Our troop has tried many things. We give the older boys an annual 4 day flatwater canoe trip where they do little but cook, canoe and explore (last year we visited the Turtle-Flambeau Flowage in Wisconsin, the best trip our troop has ever been on. We've gotten them on board a Coast Guard cutter for a weekend of patrol. We've gone climbing at a climbing gym, offered them a group trek to Philmont, etc. Almost all of them work on a summer camp staff, where we have a special agreement with the camp director. We even give them a cabin all their own at a troop winter camp. It's helped them to lead more effectively because of their new experiences through this program.

Our Troop has a group of older Scouts. It just "happened," but they are called our Venture Patrol. As commented above, these guys don't mind teaching the younger Scouts and are getting close to their Eagle rank. The peer pressure of hanging in long enough to get their Eagle has worked well, plus they are afforded opportunities in our Scouting program as appropriate for them. They help select and plan these programs, but they usually happen at the normal Troop activities. Thus, our younger Scouts see them in action. Since our Troop barely has enough trained and committed adult leaders for the basic programs, we can't take this group to the higher level of a Venture program. They seem satisfied, and are almost 100% active, and that's what it's all about. It's their program, and I'm proud of what they've done with it.

We do have a Venture Crew thats Co-ed. The problem is the Senior High School girls run it, and as an advisor I am glad its youth run, but the girls tend to scare the 14 year old scouts away. I have tried to talk to the girls, but they dont see a problem. I would like to keep both 14 year olds and 18year old active, thats the real key

Our troop is very lucky, as, out of 13 boys who have completed eighth grade, 8 of them have been counselors at one of our council's summer camps. This is usually one of the experiences of their lives, as they come back with so much enthusiasm and so much counseling/teaching abilities that they are more than prepared to help other boys in the troop. This is not for everyone, but all the things gained are priceless.