I don't own stock in the company, but Bacpacker magazine has their March issue out that is packed full of information about gear --- backpacks, boots, tents, etc. I picked up a copy and it looks good. Gives some good hints about how to choose the right gear. Lots of tables about the specifications and prices of gear. Also, lots of definition of terms for each category.

The Backpacker Magazine Gear Guide is a great resource for anyone interested in buying quality camping and high adventure gear.

As you will see, there are "bazillions" of choices when it comes to buying this stuff, particularly when it comes to hiking boots, sleeping bags and tents. You can easily drive yourself nuts by overexamining all the details of everything. I've done some of that.

Remember one thing... when it comes to buying quality outdoor gear, very seldom, if ever, will it be found at the discount big box stores that we all know so well. The gear they sell is generally middle to low on the quality scale because price is the ultimate goal for them.

Utilize the expertise of the outfitter stores near you and buy from them. They may be a little higher in price (or maybe not), but you will have quality gear that fits YOU before you leave the store and you don't have to waste time and money returning things via UPS and waiting for the company to send you another size, etc.

The popular online outfitters provide better selection in some cases, but many stores will work with you if you need a specific brand of something.

(I'm not a store owner or know anyone personally that is. I've just had very good experiences with getting quality namebrand, high quality gear locally).

Backpacker magazine has a companion web site (backpacker.com). The forum is a good place to ask questions about gear before you buy it. There are a lot of folks there with a lot of experience on the trail. WARNING: Some of the threads there can get a little raw...They don't always play nice in that sandbox...Of course we've gotten a little hot under the collar ourselves once or twice. :) God Bless.

I'm finding the gear guide a good place to get an idea of how much quality stuff costs. This issue doesn't have things rated but just lists and lists of equipment by brand and usage, including size, features, and price.

As someone else noted, quality is usually not found at the local discout mega store. Last fall when the temps dropped below freezing on a campout, I was snuggled in my sleeping bag going "I am SOOOO glad I spent the extra $20 for this bag." Also, knowing my small, cold-natured child was snug as a bug in his mummy bag I had spent extra on. Everyone else was freezing in their bargain bags and blankets.

Also, some of the "expensive" clothing I've purchased from full retail outfitters have been worth the price. They are comfortable and made for action. I'm NOT a high adventure person but highly recommend a few made-for-action undergarments, the comfort you gain is well worth the dollars -- I hate things creeping when I'm walking. People gasp when they find out what I have paid for a few things, but I would pay that again for the quality, function and comfort I get. You don't need a full wardrobe of this stuff, just buy an item here and there.

Big thing I notice in Backpacker magazine is they stress "try it on". Only YOU can tell which boot or which backpack is comfortable for you, and they explain when not to overbuy. They realize we aren't all thru-hiking the Applachian Trail, but we don't want to throw our money away.

After you know the brands you like and what size fits; you can get some super deals at rei-outlet and northern mountain supply (usually 50% off). This year I found some North Face W & B jackets for $11 at Marshalls (also had some North Face Boots) these were orginally $80. Our unit now all have the same jacket.

• 1 month later...

Check out Sierra Trading Post www.sierratradingpost.com which sells seconds and closeouts on good name brand gear. Their owners are real Scout supporters. Also check out Campmor www.campmor.com which is also a discount house. Another good group is REI www.rei.com which is good. To see what REI used to look like get hold of MEC (Mountaineering Equipment Co-op of Canada) http://www.mec.ca/Main/home.jsp from which you get also the exchange rate difference. They have GREAT Gore Tex shells, fully exceeding North Face, in my considered opinion, and their logo doesn't cost nearly as much!

Our Troop is starting to get high tech Zip-T neck fleece or microfleece shirts which has the Troop number embroidered on the collar + hopefully a fleur de lis for our outside uniform. Get um cheap through Sierra Trading Post. I have heard rumors that National is dropping the photo requirement that Boy's Life has for full BSA uniforms for any group doing high adventure outings, so this is a good alternative.

"...I have heard rumors that National is dropping the photo requirement that Boy's Life has for full BSA uniforms for any group doing high adventure outings..."

Now that IS funny.

I wonder how many of the folks who implemented that policy ever backpacked with those little buttons digging holes in their shoulders all week. I gave it up after a weekend and it took years for the scars to go away.

I can see bringing class A's for a photo op but not on trail use.

Cool stuff on the zip t's John.