Our Troop is sending a HA crew to the Grand Canyon. On our itinerary is a 14 mile day hike that includes 20+ stream crossings, & we are unsure what kind of footgear to recommend. Should hikers wear light weight "water" shoes that dry quickly? Would light hiking boots or sneakers with liner socks be a better choice for this distance & terrain, even if they stay wet most of the day? Some of the adults on the crew are concerned that hiking in wet socks all day will be inviting blisters. Anyone have experience with this?

This is a tough one. Perhaps Mike Long, who has hiked under wetter conditions than me, will have something to offer. I would avoid the water socks. If you are going to use some kind of foot gear just for crossing, I would go with sandals. I personally have found the water socks to be very unsatisfactory. You said this was a day hike, so I infer that loads will be light. Correct?

What part of the Grand Canyon? Are you going into the Havasupai reservation?

The right footgear depends on a number of factors you haven't mentioned. Steep and rocky trail or gentle trail? Deep stream crossings or are they small rocky streams that you can hop across? I'm in favor of light hiking boots for most hiking, and if the streams are small enough, you may be able to cross without getting feet wet. Assuming that the crossings will result in feet totally under water, I'd go with sandals or sneakers, w/o socks for the crossings. If the crossings are gentle, go with sandals - they are light and dry quickly. If faster current and rocky, I'd go with sneakers, since they lace up tighter and provide a better fit on the feet. Keep a small towel hanging on the back of the day pack for drying feet after each crossing, and the towel will then dry off, assuming dry and warm/hot weather. Same with the sneakers or sandals, just hook them to the daypack so that they can dry off.

I was a little boy last time I was at the Grand Canyon so I can't remember what the trails were like. With 20 stream crossings you will not keep your feet dry unless they are small streams.

You said that day is a dayhike, I was thinking backpacking so I typed all that stuff below. I'll leave it in case it helps someone else. It being a dayhike I'd wear my boots but I'd pack along water shoes or sandals. In really wet sections change shoes. Be sure to bring pack towels and foot powder. If you wear sandals put sunscreen on your feet. Sunburned feet are pure misery backpacking, trust me I've done it. Oh it hurts to even remember it.

Footwear choices depend on a bunch of things. The biggest being foot and ankle strength, pack weight and trail and river bottom conditions. Sandy bottomed areas can be done barefoot. Rocks however require protection. It is very easy to twist an ankle on submerged rocks.

In rocky areas I take off my socks and wear my boots when crossing streams.

Change your socks frequently and powder your feet. Lunch and long pack off breaks need to be a no shoes affair with everyones boots in the sun with footbeds removed for drying. It gets very hot on the canyon floor things will dry faster than you could imagine.

Your scouts and adults need to be extremely vigilant for dehydration AND hypothermia. Yes hypothermia, that much water exposure can trigger it even in the heat. Do an intensive first aid refresher before you go.

I wear boots with tall gaitors (just below the knee) they keep out water just fine as long as it isn't too deep. I also carry sandals.

I'd also search the internet for others trips to the canyon. Use the phrase "trip report" or something similar. Also on http://www.thebackpacker.com/trailtalk there are a couple of people with massive experience in hiking the canyon. You might want to post there and see if they respond be sure to mention the exact route you intend to take. Despite all the trash threads there truly is a huge knowledge base there. Warning-they like to mess with each other there, ignore the pranksters.

I guess I could have provided more info in my original question.

Yes, we are going into the Havasupai reservation. The Tribal campground is 7 miles from the Colorado, & no camping is allowed below it, so a 14 mile day hike is the only way to get to the main canyon. I've been on this trail before (stopping to remove boots & dry off, etc. meant that we had to turn around about half way in order to make it back to camp before dark)- it varies from outright rock climbing to flat woodland trail. All the crossings are at least ankle deep, some over the knees. As day hikers we'll only be carrying water, lunch, first aid kits, rope, & some other emergency gear, but 14 miles over that terrain will be a real push if we make footgear stops at every crossing, thus my dilema.

Thanks again for all your replies. Scouting truly is a brotherhood.

I have been to Havasupai twice, most recently in 1995. It is a great trip. Only once did we hike below Mooney Falls about halfway to the Colorado. As I recall we wore our boots all the way before we turned back. We had not planned to go all the way down. I suspect a lot depends on the discharge running in Havasu Creek. We never had to wade. Perhaps the best advice is to be prepared to carry addional footgear for wading and hope for the best.

Well, yes I guess they would take care of your ankles and a whole lot more.

I was thinking of these....

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/commerce/command/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=5107&prmenbr=226

This a very nice set but there are much less expensive options that will do the job quite well. This particular example was chosen only because they are shown being worn. (In case there were any questions as to what they are.)(This message has been edited by Mike Long)(This message has been edited by Mike Long)