Winter camping sleeping gear

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just my 2 cents. I agree, the only advantage to cots is storage and not comfort. And maybe for sleeping up off of the ground if you are sleeping under the stars. But most things that crawl or go bump in the night won't have any more of a problem getting to you on your cot as sopposed to the ground. Personally, at 6'2" and 250 lbs, a cot is anything but comfortable. They were not even comfortable when I was a kid in grade school and much, much smaller.

I sleep in cotton undies and polypropelene longjohns (if needed) in the dead of winter in Michigan. The cotton is okay if it is clean (i.e. bone dry). I don't like the tremendous "static cling" of polypropelene wear it only if necessary.

The earlier comment (page 1) that air is a bad insulator is false. Air is an excellent insulator.

John -

your answer made me laugh! yup, threatening the scouts with your "cure" for hypothermia just might do the trick! LOL!

we have had the outside experts do the demos and go on the campouts - he was the one who came up with the disaster scenario. I think the problem might be that

1 - the boys EXPECTED to be in a cabin with a fireplace

2 - even when they were told the cabin was off-limits - they knew the 'safety net' was there and available - so they took it.

3 - that "nekked" scenario might prevent hypothermia (and create lots of laughs) - but the boys are also very leary of changing in front of each other - so they don't like to "peal down" even when it makes sense.

ever read Gary Paulsen's "Hatchet" series? a great example written for boys of this age. - a boy has to survive in the canadian wilderness with only the clothes on his back and his hatchet. maybe we should have all the boys read them BEFORE such a trip?

thanks for the smile, though - I'll keep your suggestions in mind!