Sorry to bring up an old thread, but...

I'm working to put together a fanny pack as a first aid kit for me to carry at day camps and such. I have pretty limited formal training, ex.-First Aid Merit Badge. Currently, I've got latex and nitrile gloves, some .25 inch medical tape, a roll of like .75 inch tape, a medical mask (like what a dentist wears), several gauze pads of different sizes, an ACE wrap, and a "Shark". A "shark" is used mainly by athletic trainers, and coaches to cut off tape and the prewrap stuff from athletes' ankles and wrists, etc.

I'm considering getting some athletic tape and wrap, and a pair of EMT shears. Also, a pair of goggles.

What else should I get? I've got some room in my pack still to put stuff in.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CPR Shields:

The American Red Cross sells them. (About $5)

Our Scout shop sells them. (About $3)

They are available from several other sources.

As for first aid kits. The basic items for a Scout's individual first aid kit are listing in the Boy Scout Handbook. Those items should do for most activities. There are a great number of first aid kits available commercially - of all types and sizes - AND costs.

I prefer to put together my own kit.

One thing to remmeber is that many first aid kits see little use (THANKFULLY!). So the items get old, and outdated. I cleaned out a unit first aid kit a while back. Everything with a date on it was expired and all the packages where yellowed and brittle. The gloves where dry rotted and crumbling. We replaced it all and now check it and replace items as needed before and after each activity that it is take on. You might want to have a list of contents with the date the items were put into the kit and if known, the actual expiration date of the items and keep them all fresh and up to date.

Hopps,

It is great to have a first aid kit, especially if you will actually carry it. One of my original WFR instructors, an ER Doc said he only carried a few bandaids and duct tape...but he did carry it everywhere. I have two kits, one for the car (which stays there) and a smaller one that I carry in my pack, which goes with me. On the river we have an even larger one complete with a backboard.

Most important is to know how to use it properly. Below, are two links I found for WFA and WFR classes in Illinois. The National Safety Council is probably your best bet. They purport to offer a WFA which is only 16 hours long. The other one shows that an Illinois Univ has offered WFR (a far more extensive class up to 100 hours long) in the past. It has a phone number.

For a CPR Mask: If you carry a first aid kit bigger than your pocket, I would suggest the following CPR mask. A mask of this type will protect you from the victim vomiting back on you during CPR if they are actually going to respond. It has an oxygen inlet that the EMTs will know how to use if you are working on a CPR victim: http://www.cpr-pro.com/2000P50.html

The following seem to offer WFA or WFR in Illinois. You should email them to see what they have, or if they know of a course that will run near you. Getting this kind of course is very important for anyone involved in taking kids out even an hour away from EMS help:

National Safety Council

1211 Spring Lake Dr., Itasca, IL 60143-3021

800-621-7619Fax: 630-285-1315

630-285-1121

Web Site: www.nsc.orgE-Mail: kennedyj@nsc.org

Number of Employees: 600

Ownership: Nonprofit Membership Organization

Distribution: Service Company Direct

CEO: Gerard Scannell/President

Marketing: Christine A. Hoffman/Exhibit Sales

Mary Beth Murray/Marketing

Operations: Thomas W. Planek/Director, Research & Statistical Services

Training, First Aid trf

The National Safety Council offers comprehensive, state-of-the-art training materials in first aid, CPR, bloodborne pathogens, first responder, wilderness first aid, and AED.

A IL Univ that has in the past offered WFR:

http://www.wiu.edu/release.sphp?id=1062

An ARC sites indicates that there may be a WFA class in St Louis MO

restech.wustl.edu/~outing/leaders/wfa.application.doc

Another resource that you should access is the following guy from SIU whose program may teach WFA. At least he could help you find a good course:

Touch of Nature Environmental Center

Southern Illinois University

Carbondale, Illinois 62901-6888

Phone: (618) 453-1121 Fax: (618) 453-1188

Email: tonec@tonec.siu.edu

Good Luck and go for it.

JB

Thanks John, I'll look into it. I've emailed back and forth a couple times with a lady from the ARC in St. Louis, but she has since stopped emailling me information when I asked her for some. I guess I should email them again. I was trying to possibly have the troop host one. The ARC doesnt offer one b/c it doesnt get much interest.

Hopps

This is the case with most areas in ARC. In Wyo, where most everyone is into the outdoors, my company (through ARC) and NOLS are the only providors. In OK, my wintering grounds, I and one other are the only instructors.

I almost became providor for the OK and CO Sierra Club, but was co-opted by NOLS who now provides WFA for the entire Sierra Club nationwide (BSA take note that the Sierra Club which has been running wilderness trips longer than BSA has been in existance with adults requires WFA as the minimum).

You should try for those contacts (which are few and far between) to see what can happen. Unfortunately, you may be out of luck. The next best thing is to take the best ARC class you can and get the following books which you should study. WFA by Fogerty (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/076270490X/qid=1101736846/sr=2-3/ref=pd_ka_b_2_3/104-8876004-2584741)

and the one by NOLS (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0811728641/qid=1101736846/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-8876004-2584741?v=glance&s=books)

I would be glad to try to arrange one of our (HPOI) instructors to teach WFA to your Troop, but you would somehow have to get him there, and put him up for the two days of instruction, which would lead to more cost (even though our prices are pretty low ($70/person). If you were able to get the whole district or council for it, it might be worth it. NOLS does this but they really are expensive.

JB

After buying a few kits I decided just to build my own.

Adult Advil

Childrens Advil

Benadryl cream Small tube

Peptobysmal Tablets

Benadryl Pills

Cough drops

Tweezers

Antiseptic wipes

Neosporin

Small surgical Scissors

Band Aides at four different sizes

Blister band aides