This is one those tips you just don't know where to post...but, this is one for you C.O.P.E. and Climbing Directors and Instuctors who would like to add a little bit more safety to your programs. But first, I would like to think Paul Brown and his C.O.P.E. crew at Lost Valley for sharing this with me.

CRASH is an acronym for Carabiner, Rope, Attitude, Stuff, Harness and Helmet, and is the last and final inspection of the scout and his equipment before he starts to climb, repell or belay.

The process is simple, the belayer will CRASH the climber, and in turn, the climber will CRASH his belayer...it goes like this

C - Carabiner - locked down and squeezed checked. Any ATC or 8 is also checked.

R - Rope - this inspection ensures that the rope is tied in right for the harness being use, and that the knot correct and safetyed.

A - Attitude - the scouts gives his best hoo rah. It's a means to help control the fear factor and make sure he/she is ready to go.

S - Stuff - here a firm upward tug on the rope to double check the knot and harness, and to make very sure that the leg loops are not cinched over a lad's more sensitive parts. The time to find this out is NOT after a hard fall...

H - Helmet and Harness - ensures the helmet is secured, and on right. That the Harness is on right, is in the correct position, and is backed off. That there are no cuts or tears, or weak seams in the Harness. Additionally, a check for items like pens, pencils, loose clothing or anything that can jam the system is also eliminated.

Once, all the checks are done the scout is free to repell, climb on, or belay. For most scouts, there is an instant awareness after the first climb, or repell just how important this final check is. Afterwhich they will perform it everytime without fail....

The CRASH nymonic is very useful to check redundancy for each partner in a climb. However, I would highly recommend that any group that goes out to climb on their own cultivate (after checking) actual experienced climbers who can help insure that the anchors for the top roped climbs are bombproof and redundant too. There are lots of people who can help if approached. Our method (after I check them out) is to make them an ASM but only call on their expertise when the Troop wants to go climb. THis also works well for river people, rafters, kayakers or canoers that can help your unit on these special ocassions.

JB

The CRASH nymonic is very useful to check redundancy for each partner in a climb. However, I would highly recommend that any group that goes out to climb on their own cultivate (after checking) actual experienced climbers who can help insure that the anchors for the top roped climbs are bombproof and redundant too. There are lots of people who can help if approached. Our method (after I check them out) is to make them an ASM but only call on their expertise when the Troop wants to go climb. THis also works well for river people, rafters, kayakers or canoers that can help your unit on these special ocassions.

JB

JB

JB

• 1 month later...