LWB/LIM - Gimme Shelter

For most three season use, a tent is just a waste of a good night's sky. However, on the plus side, they are great for buggy enviroments, foul weather, and a security blanket for those new and uncomfortable in the outdoors. On the negative side, they can be expensive, depending on type/model take up a bit of space in the pack, heavy, and impossible to air in hot, muggy enviroments.

This is my solution to cut the weight, but still have protection in buggy enviroments most common in neck of the woods.....

Hammock - 34 oz. http://www.hennessyhammock.com/

space blanket 1 oz

By using a hammock and eliminating the traditional tent system(Tent - 72 oz (4 1/2 lbs),Ground Cloth -5 oz, Pad - 13 oz) which had a total weight near 90 oz (5.56 lbs) I was able to rid the pack of 55 oz (3.44 lbs) of dead weight, plus the bulky sleeping pad....

The HH can also be pitched like a tent if you need to. A very versatile choice.

If you do a lot of camping at state parks be aware that many have banned attaching anything to trees including hammocks. The Florida State park system recently went to this rule.

Very silly if you ask me, but some folks couldn't seem to be bothered to remove their ropes. National forests and BLM land for me.