Backpacking 103 "My dogs are barking!"

In the end it all comes down to your feet.

Everyone asks about footwear, as they should. The most asked question is what is the best brand to get. Well, there is no best brand but there are a lot of good ones. What really matters is fit and a boot or shoe chosen for the conditions that you will be hiking under. To choose wisely you must ask yourself 2 questions.

1. Where will I be hiking?

Terrain helps to determine the ampount of protection your feet need. If you will do most of your hiking on well groomed trails, and well drained, level terrain a simple pair of supportive sneakers or running shoes will do the trick. If you have weak ankles get high tops. More aggressive terrrain requires more aggressive boots. For what most troops do I wouldn't get anything heavier than a light to mid weight boot. Remember that even though you might not notice the weight of a heavy boot at first, a long day of picking them up and putting them down equals a huge expenditure of energy.

Here in Florida I don't normally wear boots backpacking as they are overkill. A simple pair of supportive shoes will do the trick. I use a waterproof pair of mid height approach shoes. For terrain similar to the Smokies I use a waterproof mid/light boot as there are sections of broken trail and numerous water crossings. In areas like Glacier NP and the White mountians where there are scree and talus fields I use a heavyweight boot to protect my feet from broken rock.

2. How much weight will I be packing.

This is an area where lightweight packing excells. If you don't carry a big load then you probably won't need heavy boots. The more weight you carry directly equals more stress on your feet, thus the need for heavier boots. I have several hiking buddies that are ultralightweighters and never need anything more than a pair of running shoes. No matter what the condition. However, we have been in rough areas where they have be slowed down because they needed to pick their route more carefully than those of us with wearing boots. Footgear that's too soft and floppy for your load will let sharp stones bruise your arches and encourage ankle sprains.

Get fitted.

Before you try on boots go for a long walk. While backpacking your feet will swell and spread. By taking a long walk you are "pre-loading" your feet. Also wear the socks you plan to wear on the trail. (See socks a little further down.)

If you can, visit a shop that can professionaly fit your boots. If not then here are some tips.

Properly fitted footwear should provide enough room for your toes, and be snug around the heel and instep so your heel doesn't slide around as you walk. The shoe should be long enough that your toes don't bang into the front of the boot (toe box) when you're hiking downhill. To check for proper length, loosen the laces completely, slip your foot into the boot and slide it all the way forward. You should be able to fit a couple of fingers behind your heel.

With the boots laced up, walk around the store. Stand on a sharp edge to see how well the boot protects your arch. Let your foot rock from side to side to check stability and ankle support and to make sure the heel cup doesn't jab you under the ankle bone. Hook the boot heel on a step and point your toes downward to confirm that the boot will hold your foot securely in place during long descents. Some shops have an incline you can stand on to test this also. If possible, try on boots with the load you'll be carrying.

Wear the boots indoors for awhile, sometimes what felt great in the store feel horrible once you leave. Most good shops will allow you to return boots that haven't been worn outside.

There is no such thing as a water proof boot. The most any company can claim is that they are very highly water resistant. You don't need to buy goretex boots. They are nice and goretex does work but a good pair of boots that you applied waterproofing to will work just fine. But sure to seal all seams thouroughly.

Get a boot that is simply constructed. You know how hard it is keep your fellas in shoes. The more seams there are the more places the boot can fail or leak. Remember what Scotty from Star Trek said. "The more complicated the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain."

Socks.

Wearing cotton socks backpacking is probably the single worst decision you could make. Cotton absorbes water and dries very slowly. Soft wet skin is pretty much guaranteed to produce blisters.

The best thing you can wear would be wool boot socks or bacpacking socks. Something that will dry quickly and pad your feet. My hikers, myself included, wear liner socks next to the skin and hiking socks over the liners. What liners do is they are designed to move moisture away from your feet and into your outer sock. They also act as a friction layer. The theory is that your liner and wool sock rub against each other and not your skin. The cheap alternative to liner socks is to wear a pair of men's nylon dress socks. They essentially do the same job for much less money.

If you must wear cotton socks bring extra pairs and when you stop (lunch or some other interval) change your socks, let your feet and boots air out, powder your feet and hang the wet socks on the outside of your pack to dry. We aren't making any fashion statements in the woods folks.

General foot care.

Teach your scouts to take care of their feet. Cracked and broken skin is an invitation to infection. If you are going on a trail that may force you into water over boot high you might want to inspect your boys bare feet. There are many things in untreated water that you don't want to introduce into the blood stream.

Break in.

Do not wear your boots backpacking until you have broken them in. To me a boot is broken in when it starts to mold to my feet and I can flex the sole. I try to put about 50 miles on mine before backpacking with them. All I really do is wear them to work and around town and on the occaisional dayhike. For particularly stiff boots I will soak the boots in warm water and wear them until they dry, changing socks frequently. Heavier boots require longer break in periods and some even require break in to be done while carring loads. On your first BPing trip with new boots be sure to bring extra blister care items and check your feet often.

One other suggestion, It is extra weight but I bring a pair of sandles so I can get out of my boots at the end of the day. Aqua socks work well too.

An excellent summary Mike. I can't think of a thing to add.

I wonder if any troops operate "boot exchanges" in the same manner of uniform exchanges where outgrown uniforms are collected and issued to smaller scouts. It seems to me that this could work for expensive hiking boots as well.

Also teach the boys that if they get overheated, sit down and take off your socks and shoes. You can lose a lot of body heat through your feet.

At Cub campouts I've gotten overheated and have seen boys do the same, I have everyone sit down and remove their socks and shoes (some are afraid to do this for some reason). I don't let them get up and walk around barefoot. Drink your water while you sit. It's amazing how much better you can feel in 10 to 15 minutes of airing your feet, resting and drinking water.

Also, a "trick" I recently learned. In trying to tighten my mid-weight, mid-height boots at the ankle, I was making the toe area too tight. In no time, my feet would hurt. When lacing up my boots, I put a simple knot about at where my ankle starts. Then I can tighten the top all I want without squeezing my instep.

• 1 month later...

Mike Long

In your travels have you ever heard of a Century Club that promoted hiking, biking, and canoeing.

They offered patches to Scouts who accumulated 100 miles or more in the different categories. Also segment patches in 100 mile increments to 1000.

The CC published a trail booklet that listed trails nationwide, with contacts, discription, and all details about the trail.

My copy of the booklet has gone astray and the CC is no more. If you come across an extra copy I would appreciate getting in touch with you to acquire it.

The trails that I find online do not quite match up with the old CC booklet.

Thanks,

John

Mike

What's your opinion on tread and the effect on trails?

We're planning on taking our Scouts, 8 boys all 11 years old, to The Great Smokey Moutain National Park. We would like to take a couple of day hikes on the AT. Can you recommend any particular section of the park?

John I'm afraid that they are news to me. I do know that the Florida Historic Trails Association (not associated with the Florida Trail Association) has a 100 miler medal. Beyond that I have no information to offer you. I be looking though.

Tread and trails.

Trails are made for walking (well, a lot of them anyway). Most trails are so compressed from foot traffic that I don't see much impact from hikers as long as they stay on the trail and don't drag their feet. Granted in some areas the AT is a foot deep. Some areas are softer and are more prone to wear and tear and yes a lug boot will churn the treadway into mush but just try to hike through that without lugs. Frankly I wear my lug boots almost anywhere there might be rocky or steep terrain and I'm backpacking. I'll wear my approach shoes dayhiking or backpacking in easy terrain (Florida).

The affects of treads are most noticeable off trail. In my opinion that is where your concerns should be. High mountain meadows are very pretty and inviting to the point of being irrestible to a bunch of boy scouts who want to throw a frisbee in a game of ultimate. Really, what boy wouldn't think that a game of catch on top of a mountain is cool? Search the web for Roan Mountain and you will know what I mean. The problem is that after the guys run all over in lug boots the meadow is all scarred up and trashed. Other folks want to see the meadow while it's pristine too. For that reason we carry camp shoes.

I'm not sure I answered your question very well.

The Smokies.

The very best book about the trails in the park (all 900 miles of them) is called "Hiking Trails of the Smokies" published by the Great Smoky Mountains Historical Society. It is also known as the little brown book. Not only is it a great hikers guide but a good read, lots of history there.

I would strongly encourage you to take the kids on at least an overnighter in the backcountry. My suggestion would be to go out the back of Smokemont campground on Bradly Fork Trail up to Campsite #49 on Cabin Flats Trail. It about 5.5 miles in on a nicely graded old road bed that follows the creek. There is a couple of nice fishing holes and swimming holes along the way and the campsite sits alongside the stream.

Dayhiking.

Don't get stuck on just doing the AT. It is only accessible from the road at three points in the park and EVERYONE else will be doing the same thing. There are lots of great trails in the park. Not sure how far you think the fellas can go but here goes some short ones.

From Newfound Gap you could hike 5 miles out to Charlies Bunion on the AT and return. It's very exposed area and quite beautiful. There are very sheer drop offs so caution is a must on some streches.

From Clingman's Dome take the AT to Siler's Bald shelter (maybe further) have lunch and return. The section between Double Spring shelter and Clingmans Dome is a stunning ridgewalk.

If it's warm enough to swim go out to Cades Cove and hike out to Abrams Falls. The falls are pretty and there is a great swimming hole there, pack a lunch and let the boys play in the water for the day. Plus the ride around Cades Cove can't be beat for history and beauty.

If you are going in Late June or early July. Hike to the top of Gregory Bald (near Cades Cove. The Bald is a natural flame azelea(sp?)garden. There are varieties of azaleas that ONLY grow there. Plus you get a view down into Cades Cove on one side and a peek of Lake Cheoh on the other. I'd take the Gregory Bald trail (4 miles) or the Gregory Ridge trail (6.5 miles) up. Both trails are ONLY accessible from Cades Cove.