• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

time to soak my outdoor clothes in permethrin for the year.

Discovering permethrin was great for me. I used to have multiple ticks during backpacking trips, now I'm unlucky if I find even one. 

Permethrin is awesome.  Be careful!  It is a nerve agent.  Do not spray directly onto your skin or clothing you are wearing.  Apply to clothing hanging outdoors.  Stand upwind.  Do not get the stuff o

Just got back from Camp and the Camp Commissioner recommended a "Bounce" dryer sheet in the pocket at all times to ward off ticks and chiggers. He said he periodically takes it out and wipes exposed skin surfaces with it, and had not had a tick problem in 4 weeks. We had a good crop of deer ticks this year, and DEET was pretty much ineffective.

Has anyone else heard of this?

• 2 weeks later...

Back from boundary waters. Ticks were not an issue where we camped and portaged, however, gnats, flys and occasionally mosquitos were.

Sulfur worked very well with the gnats and flys unless they were very thick. Had to pulverize the sulfur to ensure a good application. Hard to get even coverage with the sulfur and had to use deet once in a while to keep the skeeters at bay but not very often.

yis

• 16 years later...

Permethrin is awesome.  Be careful!  It is a nerve agent.  Do not spray directly onto your skin or clothing you are wearing.  Apply to clothing hanging outdoors.  Stand upwind.  Do not get the stuff on you in liquid form.  Do not let your pets anywhere near the stuff until it dries.  It will harm your pets.  Bonds to clothing fibers while drying.  Once dry, very safe.  Persists through many washings, depending on whether manufacturer adds additional bonding agents.  Read and follow package directions!

Picaridin is supposed to be great.  You can spray it directly on yourself.  Have some, but have never used it though.  I use permethrin, and have, as of yet, not needed the picaridin.  Anyone have experience with picaridin??

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-bug-repellent/

Oil of Lemon Eucalyptus and products with IR 3535 are also hawked out there...haven't tried them. though

I still have some DEET stuff from my military days...on the warning label, I kid you not, it says "Avoid prolonged contact with skin."  LOL

• Upvote 1