Venturers wear MB sash?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering. Can male Venturers aged 18+ continue to wear the merit badge sash till age 21? Also, can they wear their scout badge as well? If the scout didn't earn Eagle, but wanted to show off his Life badge on the Venturing uniform, could he?

Thanks in advance!

The sash really clashes with that Kelly green! I think for examples of how "blinged out" you can get, refer to the national venturing cabinet:

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Venturing/About/NationalYouthCabinet/2012-2013President.aspx

But, since uniforming isn't a method of venturing, I'd say your crew president and his/her fellow officers need to decide what's appropriate for your crew's uniform.

Even in our troop, we don't bust an 18-20 y.o.'s chops if he hasn't removed his rank patch.

In general, I would talk to the boy about looking at his collection of MB's and seeing if the ones he's earned since joining the crew can count as requirements towards bronze awards. My take on the venturing system of recognition is that a bronze award should be equivalent to a star rank. Or, about 5 merit badges worth of work.

Little problem with the words here.

Venturers - Boy Scouts and Boy Scouts 18+ wear the adult uniform with no rank/MB sashes.

Venturing - Wear a different uniform and no MB sash is part of it.

Until Boy Scouts wear all the bling from Tiger Cub uniform through to Boy Scouts, I would say, Cub Scouts have their uniform, Boy Scouts have their uniform, Venturing has it's own uniform and adults have their uniforms. "Do Your Best" to keep them as they are intended.

Stosh

PD,

I don't think by design, considering the whole cabinet (http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Venturing/About/NationalYouthCabinet.aspx) has kids from different regions.

That said, central region runs a pretty tight program. (From my outsider's perspective.) They promote a lot of activities and encourage quality youth to pursue regional and national positions. Our council "steals a lot of plays" from their book. But, we haven't had kids wanting to climb that ladder for a long while.

Stosh,

This is where things get a little rocky. The sash is not a part of the "national" venturing uniform. But, it's within a crew's right to design their uniform to carry whatever elements they think is important. Although I never met a venturer plastered with regalia from tigers/brownies on up, there's nothing stopping it. The only thing I've seen in writing was the restriction on tan BSA shirts and red epaulets.

It will be nice to hear from advisors who've covered a little more territory. What have y'all seen? Have their been issues among other scouters about it?

I discourage the wearing of a merit badge sash by any venturing youth. Only males can earn merit badges so if you have young ladies in the crew, they cannot earn a merit badge,or Eagle and the wearing of the sash only reminds us that while all youth are equal in Venturing, some are more equal than others.

Still, this is my opinion and if a young gentleman wanted to, I would explain my reasoning and let him decide

Now I understand about the MB sash and a better reason on why Venturers may not wear it. Prior to posting here, I tried googling for this information but to no avail.

We know Eagle scouts 18-20 can choose to wear the Eagle badge on their Venturing shirt. But what of scouters that aged out and want to wear their Star/Life badge?

"This is where things get a little rocky. The sash is not a part of the "national" venturing uniform. But, it's within a crew's right to design their uniform to carry whatever elements they think is important. Although I never met a venturer plastered with regalia from tigers/brownies on up, there's nothing stopping it. The only thing I've seen in writing was the restriction on tan BSA shirts and red epaulets."

Keep in mind that while crews can design their own uniforms, its not so "anything goes" as you imply.

If the national venturing uniform is worn (forest green shirt with charcoal gray pants/shorts), then you MUST follow the Insignia Guide. The crew does NOT get to decide what is worn on the green venturing shirt or where.

The sash seems to be kind of a gray area, because in the old days of Exploring, they DID create merit badge sashes in forest green and sky blue for the Explorers and Air Scout/Explorers to wear. (but nothing for the Sea Scouts). So there is precedence.

Besides, merit badge sashes are worn at formal occasions ONLY. Not at regular meetings, so does it really matter?

Yes. Earned Boy Scout rank recognition may be worn on the Venturing uniform, and that includes a medit badge sash. The OP was asking about B.S. rank etc after age 18. My personal opinion, no. Given the option, I'd wear sqaure knots.

BDPT00

Emb, I didn't mean to imply an "anything goes" mentality with the official forest green shirt, so thanks for the clarification. That said, I'd applaud a crew who opted to swap out the unstamped buttons on the new model of that shirt for ones with the BSA logo!

So, now we should add a uniforming category to the "age appropriate activities" chart, with the MB sash row having a bar running from 11 to 18?