Rank patches on the back of a MB sash?

I am a little confused. If I am a First Class Scout, does it not follow at one time I was a Tenderfoot, then Second Class? and now I am First Class?

Once a scout attains the Eagle rank, I know they made their way from Tenderfoot to Second Class to First Class to Star to Life to Eagle. That sorta follows, right?

Does it make a difference to me if a unit wants to do what they want to do? Absolutely not, the leaders of such a unit should remember to give the same courtesy to any other unit who sees fit to "tweak" the program as well

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OGE

I think you really are confused. We are not talking about "tweaking the program" here, or changing/altering/deleting requirements, which is what you seem to be alluding to.

This is about putting a few extra rank patches on the back of a sash, hardly a foundational shattering of the scouting program. The MB sash from my youth has all my rank badges sewn on it, as well as my camp patch, BSA lifeguard patch, POR patches. My uniform is long gone, donated to a new scout coming into scouts as I was leaving. So in essence my sash is the record of my time as a boy scout, and the only item that has survived over the years.

There are guidelines and then there are rules, learning the difference between the two may be your first step towards enlightenment.

Check out the classic MB sashes on ebay...many of them have the scout's previous ranks, pins and other cool stuff sewn on the back, and at the top and bottom of the front.

As BadenP mentioned, the sash becomes a record of the wearer's scouting trail. And a handy place to keep the stuff most important to the scout.

Of course, one understands that if a scout is Star, he previously earned First Class, etc. That's not the point.

The purpose of sewing the old ranks on the sash isn't to state the perfectly obvious. It's a handy place to keep treasured mementos.

On my old sash, I've got my rank patches, Lifeguard BSA, PL and SPL. During my constant moving, the rest of my old stuff is in a footlocker. But that MB sash is always tucked in the truck, in a safe place.

If the scouts want to display their old patches, let them. It brings no discredit on the BSA. It generates good memories and conversation.

The insignia guide is just that--a guide.

OGE, you're starting to get "it", but not quite there yet. If you have an opinion that is different, you're just being anal retentive. And mercy on you if you try to make a point of logic, let along mention any BSA publication (they're just guides you know).

So, it's A-OK to display old rank patches as long as that is what your boyhood troop did, but don't dare put more than 2 or 3 embroidered knots on your uniform.

Get it now?

F-scouter

Frank I am always thankful that you are no longer working with any youth in a scout unit since you are such an old crumudgeon as to what the youth in scouting really want, or the kind of trivial things you think are SO IMPORTANT to maintain the integrity of scouting like in this scenario. Get over yourself already, scouting is ALL about the youth and not your own personal mandates of what it should be.

uniform (yn-frm)

adj.

1. Always the same, as in character or degree; unvarying.

2. Conforming to one principle, standard, or rule; consistent.

3. Being the same as or consonant with another or others.

4. Unvaried in texture, color, or design.

n.

1. A distinctive outfit intended to identify those who wear it as members of a specific group.

I understrand, when adults wear a knot because its a celebration of past deeds, brings in good memories, and does no discredit to the BSA its OK, as long as its the correct number of knots and they are the correct knots because if a scouter wears "too many" knots, then well, we all know he is in it just for himself and it couldnt possibly be as a conversation starter

Brew, I'm going with your reference to n. 1. and say that if those rank patches are on the back, no one is going to confuse the sash with that of any other scouting organization.

I'll suggest that to son #2 as soon as he gets that POR patch on his sleeve. :((This message has been edited by qwazse)

Then the question begs is what do scouts do with them ol' rank advancement patches?

We put them in baseball sleeves to be kept in a scout notebook that incorporates the merit badge worksheets and blue cards (another purpose for them baseball sleeves: holding finished blue cards and the partial blue cards) At the ECOH (Eagle Court of Honor), those rank advancement are nicely put into a 'Trail to Eagle' designed frame by a Troop committee member who is handy in arts and crafts and presented to the Eagle and his parents at the ECOH.... *smiles

Baden-Powell designed the Scout Uniform so that all badges remain, except for Second Class, which is replaced by First Class. They are called "Proficiency Badges," meaning that they indicate current proficiency through constant retesting (think BSA Lifeguard), the opposite of our one and done "rank" badges. See:

http://inquiry.net/uniforms/traditional/placement.htm