Old uniform memory lane

I was cleaning out some old stuff and found uniform items from when my brother and I were scouts. I found the old garrison cap, the cub scout immediate recognition badge (with full set of red and yellow beads), and my brother's boy scout aluminum mess kit. I was looking at the stuff and I got to admit I prefer the older CS immediate recognition badge made of soft vinal vs. the new hard plastic one that my son has. On the other had I do not miss the old garrison cap that provided no real protection from the sun.

What are some of the older uniform parts that you miss and why?

So? I happened to wear a beret at the time. The military also wears baseball caps. A hat's a hat. I don't think that's relevant.

Another thing I liked was the collarless shirt. As long as there's a neckerchief worn with it, I think it's really handy.

BDPT00

• 4 weeks later...

Don't tell anyone, okay? But I miss the knee high socks and garters. I thought they looked good as an integral part of the uniform, protected your legs from poison ivy and minor scratches, and multiples packed easy for longer trips.

LONG LIVE KNEE SOCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I got the knee socks covered for a spell. When they were getting rid of all knee socks, thankfully national brought them back in all green for the CUs, I got 2 pairs, and the in-laws got me a dozen pairs for Christmas.

OK. to some they may have looked goofy and old-fashioned, but the Knee Socks and Garter thing really worked.

The real proof is at summer camp: spend a week in the heat and you do need shorts. The socks are protective when you go through the woods.

Along with the uniform stuff, I found all my MB books. We're talking the ones featuring B&W pictures of scouts from the '50-60. Not sure what to do with them since the requirements have changes for the MBs. They still have good knowledge in them, but I just don't know if I have the space to keep them. Any ideas?

Well if we expand to books, I'll ad the following:

2nd ed. BS Field Book

9th ed. BSHB, Green Bar Bill's last one.

I acquired the BSFB either from my brothers or my cousin. It is well loved, has no fron cover, and has a heck of a lot more info than the current BSHB on the outdoors. Heck it's even better than the 4th ed. FB I have IMHO.

That 9th ed. BSHB was the one I Eagled with. I got my original signed by GBB at the 89Jambo, and unfortunately didn't get a replacement and still used it. Long story short it split and is long gone. Absolute best "THANK YOU" gift I ever received by one of my Eagles, was a copy of that edition. I admit I had a tear in my eye when I got that.

An aside. I complain about the lack of info in the current BSHB. If memory serves, a sewing and repair kit is no longer listed as an item to pack. But last month, someone needed a needle and thread to repair something for an event. I was the only one to have it. This past weekend, something broke on my sleeping bag, and I didn't sleep well that first nite. I had a spare part b/c the part is also used on my backpack.

>>Don't tell anyone, okay? But I miss the knee high socks and garters. I thought they looked good as an integral part of the uniform, protected your legs from poison ivy and minor scratches, and multiples packed easy for longer trips.

I miss the fabric that scout uniforms were made of (60s and earlier). As a scout in the '70s, I wasn't particularly impressed with the then-current "green pajama" uniforms, so I'd find older uniforms in thrift stores and wore them in the field. Tough, comfortable and well designed, the old ones. Kept the green pajamas for meetings only.

Concur with Eagle92--second edition of the Field Book is superb. One of my favorite books, scout or non-scout. Got one for my birthday when I was a Webelo. Read it and re-read it many a time. Superb writing and content, it truly captured the spirit of scouting and adventure.

Also concur with Eagle92's endorsement of the BSHB, 9th edition. Having reluctantly used the anemic/lame-o 8th edition "new scouting" BSHB thru Eagle, I was happy to see the 9th edition reflect the spirit of "old scouting" that I saw when I read older handbooks.