Merit badge sash

How you see it is one thing. What's 'by the book' is another.

Sashes are worn over the right shoulder (not elsewhere).

BDPT00

So we know that both OA and MB sashes must be worn on the right shoulder. The question is what does the "book" say about how or if you wear both. I cannot find any "book" that says wearing either sash any other way -- or saying prescriptively one way or the other -- is verboten.

So what is an Arrowman to do when he wears Class A and wants to display both? If there is no written BSA policy about wearing either sash folded over the belt (as long as it does not look stupid) then the "local option" sounds the right answer.

One of the nearby troops is really into OA and they all seem to wear OA sashed at most formal occasions. I've been to a few of their Eagle Courts of Honor with most of their Scouts wearing their OA sash over their shoulder with their MB sashes tucked into their belts. Of course, you can't tuck-in all those MBs you earned, so the older guys with the most MBs wear their sashes hanging down past their knee. It really, really looks stupid.
We insist that if it is worn as such (folded over belt) that it does not extend past the seam of the pocket on traditional pants. And of course these days we have to say that pants are worn around your waist and not below you butt line. :)
One of the nearby troops is really into OA and they all seem to wear OA sashed at most formal occasions. I've been to a few of their Eagle Courts of Honor with most of their Scouts wearing their OA sash over their shoulder with their MB sashes tucked into their belts. Of course, you can't tuck-in all those MBs you earned, so the older guys with the most MBs wear their sashes hanging down past their knee. It really, really looks stupid.
Now that makes no sense. You have non-standard uniform standards? If you're going to be insistant about something, why not insist they wear the shashes properly?

From the BSA "Guide to Awards and Insignia" 2012 edition -

"ordeal sash, No. 2167; long, No. 2168; Scout or Scouter; worn only with the field uniform, over right shoulder, under epaulet of shirt; NEVER WORN ON BELT OR WITH MERIT BADGE SASH. “Legend strips†or “sash backs†are not official and may not be worn on the sash or with the uniform."

The highlighting is mine (the "advanced" editing only results in the edit tag text being inserted into your text, not any actual bold, underline, color, etc).

The same instructions are listed for the Brotherhood, and Vigil, sashes.

One wonders, Krampus, how you missed looking at the Insignia Guide when pondering where to where official insignia? Here is the address for the Guide on the BSA National Website (inserting links also only results in link text being added. It does not actually make it into a link) -

http://www.scouting.org/scoutsource/Media/InsigniaGuide.aspx

"ordeal sash, No. 2167; long, No. 2168; Scout or Scouter; worn only with the field uniform, over right shoulder, under epaulet of shirt; NEVER WORN ON BELT OR WITH MERIT BADGE SASH. “Legend strips†or “sash backs†are not official and may not be worn on the sash or with the uniform."

The highlighting is mine (the "advanced" editing only results in the edit tag text being inserted into your text, not any actual bold, underline, color, etc).

One wonders, Krampus, how you missed looking at the Insignia Guide when pondering where to where official insignia? Here is the address for the Guide on the BSA National Website (inserting links also only results in link text being added. It does not actually make it into a link) -

Gee ScoutNut, could be be any more pedantic? I think you will see above I was actually ASKING if anyone had seen a reference to any BSA regulations. Someone said they had but did not give a citation. Forgive me, but I have seen far too much BS spouted by Scouters over the years to take things on face value, hence my follow-up. All you needed to do is post it kindly and it would have been accepted in turn.

BTW, while looking through the BSA sight I did run across one document called Guide to Awards and Insignia only to find after looking more closely at it that it was an "excerpts" doc and not the full thing. Typical BSA: Why be direct when you can be confusing.

Like I said, it was a "tradition" long before I got to troop, along with how it (MB sash) if the OA sash is worn with it. Seems to be regional because we are not the only troop doing it. I have been trying to gather the correct policy to change the way we do this. While it can look sharp, if it is not standard then we should not wear it. Though I profess that many of the folks who tend to think they wear the uniform properly have all sorts of unofficial, verboten stuff on their shirts as well (shotgun shell awards, Citizenship in the Universe "MB", Scoutmaster MB, etc.).

Just finished watching "Fiddler on the Roof" with Topol. "TRADITION! Tradition!" So goes the world.

OA has the pocket flap patch and (what happened to the "pocket rocket" arrow dangle?) and the sash. And I have an OA necker from my youth.

Other Scouts have the MB sash. Nice to wear your awards when you can, but the MB sash hung over the belt is kinda awkward, I think.

"Pedantic"? I do not think so. You made point (several times) of stating that you had looked, and "googled", everywhere, and found nothing. I found the - complete - Guide easily enough doing a search on the BSA National site for insignia guide.

So I asked. Rather politely, if a bit sarcastically, I think.

@ScoutNut...sorry mate, but when I read "One wonders, Krampus, how you missed looking at the Insignia Guide when pondering where to where official insignia?" I read that as pendantic and condescending. If meant otherwise might I suggest checking the sarcasm when someone asks an honest question which, to that point, had not been give the complete answer you gave. You provided what I was looking for and for that I am grateful. I could have done without the sarcasm...especially since if one does search for such things you can find 2-3 documents from BSA which leave out the very important part you correctly outlined.

Again, thanks.

I've always understood that the OA handbook calls fro the sash to be worn at an OA event or when otherwise representing the OA to identify the brothers providing a service. I do try to find OA stuff to recognize at Courts of Honor or otherwise use the OA so the brothers can wear their sashes at the Troop level. But generally, we go with MB sashes at the Scout's option for Courts of Honor/Boards of Review.

Wow, talk about pedantic, and sarcastic.
How you see it is one thing. What's 'by the book' is another.

Sashes are worn over the right shoulder (not elsewhere).

BDPT00

The book says only that one doesn't wear both at the same time. Frankly, I can't envision an occasion when one would need to wear both. This 'local option' thing can easily get carried away, because whatever is invented soon becomes tradition, and then policy (even when incorrect). If on the belt, which side? Says who? Arrow pointing up or down? Says who? I believe I've seen it written that the OA sash is not to be worn on the belt anyway. There are plenty of 'local option' variables that become rules. I tend to stick with Jamboree and NYLT uniforming. It's pretty simple.

BDPT00