Neckerchiefs and collars

When our Pack went to the U.S.S. Hornet a couple of weeks ago, our leaders always wear neckers with our uniforms. We were the odd Pack out. The other leaders all did not wear neckers and it was a shame. I have always liked the way they looked. I remember looking at my brother's scout book and seeing the different ways a necker could be used. In fact, I am starting to become quite the woggle collector now and I am trying to whittle a paw woggle. We will see if it turns out, lol.

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I had thought I learned the reason for a neckerchief was to protect the neck from the sun and keep dust from getting in under the collor. This cannot be done without having the neckerchief over the co

I'm old school enough (as I stated earlier) to tuck the collar under like I was taught.

If my COR actually enforces the pack's by laws which state that the necker is worn under the open collar, and says that I can no longer wear the proper pre-1972 way of over a tucked under collar then

Interesting. It must be required by your District, or council, it is not required by BSA National.

So - which do you plan on wearing? Commissioner necker, or Boy Scout bolo?

Personally, I am not a big bolo fan. I like personalized woggles/slides, so, if pressed, and although I think the red neckers are a bit small, I would opt for the necker.

• Downvote 1
I always put my son's neckerchief over an his collar with the top button fastened. He is seven. He would never tolerate the collar tucked under. It wouldn't feel right. I don't like the neckerchief under the collar because it hides half of it. Most or our cub scouts wear their neckerchiefs, but I noticed that almost none of the Scouters wear a neckerchief. Almost everyone wears the top button open. I think it looks very sloppy.
For Boy Scouts, the uniform inspection sheet says that the top button should be open.

http://www.scouting.org/filestore/pdf/34283.pdf‎

Hi all

Fun discussion. I'm a little surprised that someone hasn't posted that the uniform isn't required or needed for the aims.

Like stosh, I come from the era of always wearing the necker because of many uses. In fact, I don't have the most recent Scout Handbook nearby, can someone tell me if the Handbook requires the necker for full uniform, and is it demonstrated in the first-aid skills section?

One thing different about the neckers today from the one I wore as a youth (still have it) they are much smaller today. I bought the necker that comes from Gilwell for WB and it is closer to the size of my youth necker.

As a youth, I didn't worry about the collar, I had the shirt that didn't have a collar. It is much more comfortable on hot Oklahoma summer days. I don't think the BSA used them long.

Barry

• 3 weeks later...

The look and style of the neckerchief is an individual unit decision.

According to the BSA's Guide to Awards and Insignia (see page 12), the option to wear the neckerchief over or under the collar (or even to wear a neckerchief at all) is up to individual units to vote on. Boy Scout neckerchiefs are optional and troops choose their own official neckerchief colors and style. Additionally, according to the guide: "official neckerchiefs are triangular in shape" and "the neckerchief is worn only with the official uniform and never with T-shirts or civilian clothing."

A good neckerchief is a great way for building unit identity, unity and pride. As Baden-Powell said, "every Troop has its own scarf color, and since the honor of your Troop is bound up in the scarf, you must be very careful to keep it clean and tidy." A neat and sharp-looking neckerchief is a great way to look sharp and show Scout spirit as a unit.

The look and style of the neckerchief is an individual unit decision.

According to the BSA's Guide to Awards and Insignia (see page 12), the option to wear the neckerchief over or under the collar (or even to wear a neckerchief at all) is up to individual units to vote on. Boy Scout neckerchiefs are optional and troops choose their own official neckerchief colors and style. Additionally, according to the guide: "official neckerchiefs are triangular in shape" and "the neckerchief is worn only with the official uniform and never with T-shirts or civilian clothing."

A good neckerchief is a great way for building unit identity, unity and pride. As Baden-Powell said, "every Troop has its own scarf color, and since the honor of your Troop is bound up in the scarf, you must be very careful to keep it clean and tidy." A neat and sharp-looking neckerchief is a great way to look sharp and show Scout spirit as a unit.

Nice picture, but that style of necker is no longer available for purchase. :)

Stosh

Ahhh... a thread after my own heart. ;) I make the neckers for our Troop to pretty traditional specs and I'm firmly in the tuck-the-collar-inside-and-wear-the-necker-on-the-outside camp. However I freely admit to being in a minority of one in our BSA Troop. Having said that they probably think it's simply British eccentricity at play, along with the occasional pith helmet appearance and campaign hat with the dimples turned 45 degrees. I admit I have also contemplated taking a pair of scissors to one of my shirt collars as someone mentioned earlier ("Elvis" - haha yes!)...

Funnily enough, for all the talk of boys not wanting to wear neckers, we've just started a new Venture Crew and the lads have unanimously voted to wear a necker, despite the current lack of uniform requirements. That really does give me hope for our youth.

Coracle

Yep, national is getting out the necker business, and my son's SM freaked out after hearing about it. Apparently the PLC had just switched necker styles from their original pattern from way back when, to one of the few styles that remain. Now they are thinking about going custom.

As for neckers being used for first aid. 1 story and 1 bit of advice

When I was teaching First Aid MB to a troop, I was using some on my neckers as bandages. I started talking about how BP made neckers a part of the uniform because of their many uses, including first aid. Later on, The SM tell me a story about how the patrols in the troop were penalized by the camporee inspectors for not having enough triangle bandages in the first aid kits. SM protested to the head judge "how can my patrols not have enough triangle bandages, when every single one of them has one around their neck?" The patrols got their points back.

Bit of advice, never use a necker signed by Green Bar Bill. :)

• Upvote 1