Red jac shirt

Hi, the other day, I was looking at jac shirts and I saw there were new green jac shirts. I was wondering if this is a step in replacing the red ones. There was also a sale on the red ones. I heard a rumor about this too.

There was a plan to replace the red ones, and in fact they were discontinued. HOWEVER, they had a bunch in inventory so they were still selling them.

BUT, there was such a demand for the red ones, that they now make new red ones similar to the green ones now. Both are washable, and the red has elbow patches.

Still no hand pockets though. Need to get one vial Bemiji Mills for that.

Wash it?? You don't like the smoky smell??

Just kidding. I have one of the old style red ones, supposed to be permanently moth proofed. Wife gave it to me for bday some years back. Chest pockets, no hand pockets.

Wash it? Really?

I think mine may be over due then; it's never been washed.

How many folks have back patches on their red-jac? I've got a black bull on mine, but nothing on the back. A few pins on a pocket flap that scouts have given me.

I got a second one that was half price last year. Was thinking of putting some of my WB patches on it.

But then I'd look like those old geezers that have patches on everything they own.

Another dilemma.

The jac sold at northern tier is the Bemiji, it's just less there than factory direct. Go figure.

But, if you want hand pockets and American made, it's either that or buying an original off ebay and breaking out the sewing machine.

It has always been my understanding that the only patch one can wear on the red shirt jac is a single large patch on the back. I have seen 50 miler patches, OA patches of a style now prohibited, and other things. I have a 1957 Jamboree patch on mine. It gets an occasional comment. And yes, I am one of the old guys.

"It has always been my understanding that the only patch one can wear on the red shirt jac is a single large patch on the back. I have seen 50 miler patches, OA patches of a style now prohibited, and other things. I have a 1957 Jamboree patch on mine. It gets an occasional comment. And yes, I am one of the old guys. "

Nope.

Read the Insignia Guide.

You are allowed:

* ONE back patch. This can be the OA one, or a National Jamboree or High Adventure patch, what have you. (BTW, the old OA logo is NOT prohibited).

* ONE high adventure pocket patch on the right pocket.

* ONE special high adventure patch above the left pocket (this is the philmont bull OR Northern Tier Loon OR Sea Base conch or shark patch).

* Universal BSA logo OR program patch (ie Venturing, etc) on the left pocket.

So you are actually allowed 4 patched.

But you shouldn't turn it into a patch jacket or try to match the uniform (no flag on the sleeve, no knots, etc)

Emb, Emb, Emb, I'm surprised at ya since you have. that excellent website with a history senior scouting.

The old Leadership Corps patch is also authorized for the right pocket.

;)

On another, more serious, note, can someone confirm or deny this one for me? I was told that the old Brownsea 22 patch was also authorized for the right pocket.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Emb,

I remember in my youth, our troop leaders (and several scouts) wore the Philmont Bull on the left shoulder, and the Northern Tier Loon on the Right. (we had a very active High Adventure group) From your post, Is this allowed, or not? I always understood this was how you were able to show you had been to BOTH places. (but I admit, I always wondered if there was a FL Sea Base patch as well)

I started reading this thread to see if the new green jacket is replacing the red...and if I should buy a new green one or try to find the red one. (sucks getting older and growing 'out')

So, as someone who has completed Philmont and is in OA, if I purcase the Green Jacket...can I put the Philmont Bull on the shoulder of the green jacket and my OA patch on the back, (like my Red jacket currently looks) or should I find a new Red one?