American Legion Patches?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not green!! That's what!!

Anyone can wear blue jeans to an EBOR.  I saw it all the time as the District Rep to EBORs.  One of the board members, a troop committee member once showed up to an EBOR wearing a sweaty T-shirt, shor

Remember, the uniform is not required, only a tool.  NEVER should lack of a uniform be a reason for a youth to not have the program should they want it.  B.P. must have polished his bones well by now

Posted Images

16 minutes ago, Eaglewarr7 said:

i see so many Uniform Police Here so tell me this ,l Why can Mormon scouts wear blue jeans to a eagle board? Or why can a kid just out of jail for drug selling with blue hair get eagle scout one week later Call it like it is.

What's wrong with blue hair?

7 hours ago, Eaglewarr7 said:

i see so many Uniform Police Here so tell me this ,l Why can Mormon scouts wear blue jeans to a eagle board? Or why can a kid just out of jail for drug selling with blue hair get eagle scout one week later Call it like it is.

Anyone can wear blue jeans to an EBOR.  I saw it all the time as the District Rep to EBORs.  One of the board members, a troop committee member once showed up to an EBOR wearing a sweaty T-shirt, shorts and flip flops.  He had just been cutting the grass.  Is it "proper" or respectful?  Nope.  Did I say anything? Nope.  Adults should be willing to set the example.  Kids observe...and learn.  

• Upvote 2
14 hours ago, scoutldr said:

Anyone can wear blue jeans to an EBOR.  I saw it all the time as the District Rep to EBORs.  One of the board members, a troop committee member once showed up to an EBOR wearing a sweaty T-shirt, shorts and flip flops.  He had just been cutting the grass.  Is it "proper" or respectful?  Nope.  Did I say anything? Nope.  Adults should be willing to set the example.  Kids observe...and learn.  

Remember, the uniform is not required, only a tool.  NEVER should lack of a uniform be a reason for a youth to not have the program should they want it.  B.P. must have polished his bones well by now with all the foolishness that has gone on that does not help the youth, but is rather just a parady of the actual reason and direction of Scouting.

• Upvote 2
On 3/5/2022 at 11:18 PM, Eaglewarr7 said:

There are no uniform police, only insignia wonks.

And with them, scouters chock full of snark. Given that, in reply to your questions …

• A scout is not required to wear a uniform to an EBoR. Jeans should be clean and neatly pressed.
  • Who told you the kid had to get out of jail? Youth detention programs have at times found it helpful to have youth get along with their scouting advancement.
  • Selling with red hair might postpone the EBoR for an additional week.

Are these really bothering you? Or, are you just fishing around for the lowest bar to justify your preferred patch placement?

On 3/6/2022 at 6:43 AM, scoutldr said:

I'm 99% certain I would have found someone else  to sit on that board. Not because it irks me, just out of respect for the scout.

On 1/3/2022 at 7:44 AM, qwazse said:

You are right, but I still win.  (Headed to my bank to deposit...what do I get? Who cares.)

Rules And Regulations Of The Boy Scouts Of America

9-2020

II. Policies

Policy Concerning Military Training

Technical military training and drill must not be included in the Scouting program.

(Last time I read it was 1998±. I think it was the same, then. Homer nodded, slightly. The BIG NOD on my part was not catching that the Hitler Youth did not exist at the time of BSA's Charter so no prohibition on military training would likely have been incorporated at the time of Congressional Chartering on that account.)

I have not researched WHEN the prohibition on military training arose.  Somebody probably knows.  Curiously, the U.S. Military seems to have a preference for "non-militarily trained" Scouts.

On the other hand, my swimming merit badge required that we entered the pool silently, swim the length of the pool silently, and exit the pool silently. Seems a lot like Seal Team 6 prep to me.

• Upvote 1

The only time  I went sorta" Patch Police" and how it turned into a paycheck

About 15 years back a tiny just bridged scout came to his third troop meeting wearing a red wool jacket with a felt bull on the shoulder.  Just like the one I was sporting.  So during a lull in the meeting,  I asked him where he got such a great jacket.  It seemed his uncle had given it to him the previous weekend.  I gently explained  that in scouting patches told a story about what the wearer had done, as well as where he had been,  and the way that patch was positioned said that he had climbed  either Baldy or the Tooth at Philmont.  ( I had to explain what Philmont was) Also the big patch on the back proclaimed him an Eagle.  He asked if I was telling him that he had to take the patches off.  I said that the decision was his but a Scout is Trustworthy.   

Next meeting his jacket was bare.  He marched straight up to  me " I'll wear ''em when I earn 'em!"  

Five years later at a camporee I see him again.  The jacket fits him now.  I look at the patches on it NESA, OA, Jambo, Philmont. " I earned them all"  he said.

"Of  course you did"  

Edited by Oldscout448
3 hours ago, qwazse said:

There are no uniform police,

Well, I think that there are. Any deviation of official rules is seen as a "violation" whatever that means.

It is not uncommon in statutes for there to be rules, with NO consequences.

Well, and one might ask, why are there rules (enacted by the Legislature which ought to know better than to make rules with no consequences) with no consequences?

Shoot somebody, there are consequences-severe.

Well, there is this concept in the law of "aspirational."  Essentially, the idea that the Legislature is suggesting that folks meet certain standards that have no penalties but folks should still aspire to meet. (Frankly, "aspire" to me means "perspire" and if enough sweat drops, you've fulfilled your duty.)

This concept, in my state, is generally found in lawyer professional ethics rules. (Sure, let's give the lawyers a way out-well, I am one, and resent any break that diminishes my credibility.)

So, back to Scouts in uniform.  A Scout wearing a Scout shirt, is OK. A scout who has his shirt tucked in, is better, and a Scout with neckerchief is at the top.  Some have the appropriate rank patches, others not so much.

I am delighted that Scouts show up at all, whatever their attire, and many came from sports activities in some measure of sports attire, and many some minutes late. But they were at the meeting. I am not about to send them away. And nearly all of the Scouts in my Troop who were in sports earned Eagle. They worked hard and we accommodated.

And before you pound down on me as some weak-willed, uniform-denier, I worked on the Philmont Ranger staff in the early 1970's-3 years. Rangers ALWAYS wore Class A uniforms on the trail, and we joked "We were not allowed to sweat." (Well, we were very young and strong, and just might have pulled that off-but whatever, you NEVER were allowed to be out-of-breath.)

Ranger staff now wear knit shirts. Not sure why.

7 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

You are right, but I still win.  (Headed to my bank to deposit...what do I get? Who cares.)

Rules And Regulations Of The Boy Scouts Of America

@SiouxRanger, scouters have won long before they started typing. (Cash your deposit at @Oldscout448’s next camporee.)

I bet that stipulation goes pretty far back. And, I’ve always treated it as a restriction on combat training, not parade drills. Scouting has always danced the line between trained and disciplined youth and fighting force of the future.

As to why I prefer “insignia wonk…”

7 hours ago, SiouxRanger said:

… Well, and one might ask, why are there rules (enacted by the Legislature which ought to know better than to make rules with no consequences) with no consequences?

… Essentially, the idea that the Legislature is suggesting that folks meet certain standards that have no penalties but folks should still aspire to meet. …

I’ve never heard the Bar Association called “Lawyer Police” even though they can deliver far more severe consequences than any of us can when we point out uniform faux pas.

The closest thing to actual insignia enforcers at National would be the folks who send cease and desists orders to media outlets who use BSA’s uniform without permission. And, IMHO, I think that has maintained the brand at the cost of hurting recruitment.