American Legion Patches?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's not green!! That's what!!

Anyone can wear blue jeans to an EBOR.  I saw it all the time as the District Rep to EBORs.  One of the board members, a troop committee member once showed up to an EBOR wearing a sweaty T-shirt, shor

Remember, the uniform is not required, only a tool.  NEVER should lack of a uniform be a reason for a youth to not have the program should they want it.  B.P. must have polished his bones well by now

Posted Images

Cluttered thoughts from a cluttered mind.

It's a apparently a violation of the insignia rules, but , if so, surely a less significant violation of rules than violations that go to the integrity of the program, such as Merit Badge mills or an adult-led troop. Sorta' like a nameplate other than white on black, wearing a square troop neckerchief with the Uniform, or those foreign Scouter brushes that some wear on the Campaign hat. All are violations that no one seems interested in pursuing.

If you make yourself a member of the Uniform Police, you had better follow the rules yourself.

Isn't it one of those priority things? I had a Scoutmaster once who wore an Eagle rank patch on an OD baseball cap. He had the best troop in the district any way you looked at it. I thought that troop was worth the violation.

If uniforming were of critical importance, we'd have a uniform instead of a brand of various clothing items that we mix and match with no uniformity.

• 2 weeks later...

We have an answer:

The two emblems are designed to go on a jacket...NOT on the field uniform. You *may* wear the smaller of the two as a temporary emblem centered on the right pocket of the field uniform.

It is NOT worn as any kind of emblem on the right shoulder...was never designed for that. It was designed for wear on an American Legion blue jacket but you can wear it on the right shoulder of a Scout jacket or jac-shirt as your preference.

• 5 years later...

Last year in 2019 at the national BSA and American Legion Conference they made uniform changes . I am the State Scouting Chairman and the members of Legion Pack and Troops can wear the round BSA Legion patch below the OA Patch in the Temporary space. State Scouters also now can wear the yellow epaulets  but they must be in the role of a state scouting chairman. which means there is only one legion member wearing yellow that is the state chairman.

720003.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • 1 year later...

I am the current Scouting Chairman for the Department of Tennessee. These Patches were not authorized until about 2 years ago. The New round American Legion Scout Patch is considered a Temporary patch and shall be worn as so below the OA patch on the right pocket. It can be removed when another BSA patch is earned. The larger Shoulder patch is not worn on the uniform but can be used as a Pocket identification Patch on a suit. If you Notice the old Boy Scout Patch is now gone its been charged to scout only. Also the Yellow epaulets will be worn by the American Legion State Department Scouting Chairman only durning his tenure of service normally a year in office.. All other American Legion Adult leaders will wear the official BSA ones for their position. Once the American Legion State Scouting Chairman leaves or is voted out of office then he will remove the yellow epaulets and return to his normal scout position ones. My local American Legion Chartered Troops and Packs are encouraged to wear the American Legion Scout Patch. 

• 2 months later...

According to the National Office BSA: The uniform modifications are permitted only for those acting in an American Legion Scouting Chairman role. By exclusion, unit leaders and individual scouts are not authorized to wear the patches and may only wear the shoulder loops for the BSA program in which they are registered.

• Like 1

once again my post which i am the 2nd vice allow our legion scouts to wear the round legion patch on the temporary side below the OA patch. They can remove it at any time. i wear it along with The yellow applets as i am the Department Scouting Chair. The best thing i run into is jealousy from other Scouting adult leaders. I also run into the uniform Police who i have to square away too. You can wear any patch on the temporary side ive been doing this for over 30 years. My Troop that i had when i was the scoutmaster on Fort Ord, Ca was authorized to wear BDU Pants and they even had a BDU, Camouflaged scarf which was approved by the then post Commander. You know the BSA Hates the camouflage because it looks-to military. But if my Scouts voted it in we did it. Matter of fact i still have my BDU pants and two scarfs.

1 hour ago, Eaglewarr7 said:

You know the BSA Hates the camouflage because it looks-to military

There is a provision in the Congressional Charter of the BSA prohibiting military drill, I believe, and that may prompt National's aversion to camo as just skirting too close to the "military" prohibition.  But others here may have deeper insight. I have generally been opposed to camo on that basis that it is too far from the scout uniform that I think youth don't see themselves as scouts.  And I could be wrong. Camo shorts are not so distracting, but a camo shirt undercuts the scouting personna, in my feeble opinion.

Our troop wore the solid olive drab BDUs. The color was so close to the scout pants back then that one would have to look closely to see they weren’t the official scout pants. The BDUs were half the price of official scout pants, adjustable through 4 sizes for growing scouts and they were much more durable for rough scouting activities. Most surprisingly was the BDUs were popular at school. A scout wouldn’t be caught dead wearing official scout pants, but they wore the BDUs with pride.

The PLC didn’t accept or push any official troop camo, but some of the patrols wore military camo boony hats. The boony hat came from our pack were the Webelos had a tradition of getting the hats when they became Webelos. The hats come in a dozen different color patterns, so each year Webelos den could be identified. They keep the sun and rain off the face and ears and are extremely durable. My 35 and 38 year old sons and I still have our hats.

The BDU pants were a bit political. I was holding the PLC accountable for the official uniform in their handbook when they wanted to make jeans the official pant. The PLC came back and presented the OD BDUs. They asked me if I would accept the BDUs  if council would allow them to use them. I said of course. I was impressed with their proposal, but I also didn’t think council would allow the BDUs. I was wrong.

Barry

From the BSA official material.

"The official scout uniform consists of shirt, pants, belt, and socks. A neckerchief and hat are optional. In reality, each unit may have different uniform expectations, with some expecting socks to hat while others expect just the shirt. Having all scouts consistently uniformed for meetings and outings makes for a much better adventure. It is also important to remember that the scout uniform is not a mandatory part of scouting and a scout should not be prohibited from participating just because they do not have a uniform, or a complete uniform."

"Imitation of United States Army, Navy, or Marine Corps uniforms is prohibited, in accordance with the provisions of the organization’s Congressional Charter."

1 hour ago, skeptic said:

From the BSA official material.

"The official scout uniform consists of shirt, pants, belt, and socks. A neckerchief and hat are optional. In reality, each unit may have different uniform expectations, with some expecting socks to hat while others expect just the shirt. Having all scouts consistently uniformed for meetings and outings makes for a much better adventure. It is also important to remember that the scout uniform is not a mandatory part of scouting and a scout should not be prohibited from participating just because they do not have a uniform, or a complete uniform."

"Imitation of United States Army, Navy, or Marine Corps uniforms is prohibited, in accordance with the provisions of the organization’s Congressional Charter."

Doesn't say Air Force, Space Force, Coast Guard, or Merchant Marine, for those who follow letter of the law 😜

• 2 months later...

i see so many Uniform Police Here so tell me this ,l Why can Mormon scouts wear blue jeans to a eagle board? Or why can a kid just out of jail for drug selling with blue hair get eagle scout one week later Call it like it is.