Custom patrol patches

Who do you use for custom patrol patches.

By custom, I mean exactly that: a patch that is not offerend by anybody.

And correct me if I am wrong, but understand that regulation size is 1 1/2"

To start, we are only going to order ten patches even though the patrol consists of 8 boys.

So far, I sent a request form and design to class B.

Who do you recommend and who has done god by you so far?

Thanks, Mark

Class B (classb.com) and Patchtown (patchtown.com) are two sources. Our troop has bought from both with good results.

We now discourage the use of custom patches. If the patrol wants them they order and pay for them.

Custom can get expensive, but if that's what the patrol wants and they're willing to cover the cost, then go for it. Scouting Magazine has contact info in the back section for several embroidery companies. However, the smaller the batch of patches you order, the more you will pay per patch. Most have a minimum of 12 or 24, but they are usually cost prohibitive if you order less than 100 or so patches at once.

Previously mentioned is Patchtown, which has many specialty stock patrol patches already designed: http://www.patchtown.com/

Class B is just like Patchtown in that they have many specialty stock patrol patches already designed (Patchtown has more): http://www.classb.com/

Another source for specialty stock patrol patches is Boy Scout Store: http://www.boyscoutstore.com/

Patchtown : minimum order : 30 patches at $5.75 each

Class B : Minimum order of 50 patches at $3.50

I sent a quote request to a few more places.

One site had a minimum order of 10 patches, which is good for a patrol of 8 boys. Asked for a quote based on 12 patches.

They boys are definatly paying for their own patches

They are the Python patrol. No python patches in stock at scoutshop or any on line patch supliers,

In fact, the boys chose a disign of two pythons in a square knot with the heads at the top of each side of the knot .

I guess the heads will bight you if you are not carefull. :)

You can order custom patches from the scout store. Minimum of 12 for $6 each. Or purchase the blank patrol patch and draw on them with fabric paint or ask a local embroidery store for a quote. You can also call national supply (scoutstuff.org)

Just a clarification: There is a difference between "stock" designs offered by companies such as Patchtown and ClassB and "custom" designs purchased from such companies. The "stock" designs are already programmed into the patch-making equipment, so the company has no further "development" costs. These stock designs are shown on the websites and can be purchased for fairly reasonable prices. For example, Patchtown offers stock designs for $2.29 each, no minimum, and ClassB sells their stock designs for $2.99 each, no minium, with discounts for quantity ($2.49 each for 8 or more).

"Custom" designs are those created from scratch, and the patch company has to translate your idea into an embroidered (or printed/dyed -- see designsondemand.com) patch, so true "custom" patches are more expensive.

Many Patchtown "stock" designs started as "custom" designs, or as alterations to existing "stock" designs (changing color, deleting or adding elements, etc.).

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA

We try to have the boys pick from the ones that Class B or Patchtown already has. There are quite a lot beyond the basic BSA ones.

Our Troop pays only for one set of the basic patches. Any special or custom jobs and they are on their own. Replacements--they pay for them. Rename the patrol--they pat for them.

I have seen some pretty creative interpretations of the standard patches.

Unless patrol members are rolling in dough for some reason, I'd be looking for alternatives to spending a lot of money with a patch maker.

Patrol members ought to be able to design a patch they like on a computer and then to print it out on some kind of printer stock, followed by laminating it, for example.

The artist in the den could reasonably be expected to execute his design on a blank patrol patch or some other medium, repeating it for each patrol member.

A creative patrol could no doubt come up with other possibilities.

Teaching the boys embroidery is not that far fetched. If they came up with the design, they could mass produce it with the help of a parent with those skills.

• 1 month later...

I see our name posted here a few times thought I might clear the air a bit.

Our custom patches all start with submitting artwork(step #1)

We then determine the price based on the work needed to complete the design as requested and the ability to resell the patch, as someone has already mentioned on here many of our stock patches started as custom requests.

Stock patches no minimums $2.29ea price breaks at 12,25,50+

Custom patches:

Generally speaking as of 5/1/12;(this is subject to change)

Color changes to existing patches NO minimums $5.00each

Custom 2" patrol patches

Minimum qty 15-$3.90each/$5.00each depending on the above factors(all starts with artwork).

Qty25-$3.50each

Qty50-$2.50ea

Qty100-$1.50ea(FREE shipping)

IMPORTANT: We will work with any troop on price and minimums just call us to discuss your needs.

I hope this helps everyone and as always we will meet or beat ANY competitor price.

Happy scouting and thank you all for your support over all these years we appreciate your business very much.

Patchtown

(This message has been edited by Patchtown)

Patchtown, there is another company that also starts out with "Patch-" in the beginning of their name.

All told, I contacted about 7 different patch companies.

I may have used your name when talking about the other "Patch-" company or any of the other patch companies.

My only point was I found a better deal with a minimum number of patches that actually coincides with trhe number of boys in a BSA patrol.