new uniform old hat

I read somewhere that no uniform is ever out-of-date, that is, any official uniform is always an official uniform and you can wear it as long as it is serviceable even if they come out with a new style, which they seem to do about every ten years or so. I am a cub scout leader, and I wear the gold blouse with the blue pants because that was the "new" uniform when I joined up. I was out of scouting for a few years and when I came back all the women in the pack were wearing tan and olive. I like the blue and gold uniform. I think its pretty, but I like the idea of everyone wearing the same uniform, too. It's more "uniform."

Anyway, I also read somewhere that you can't mix and match the uniforms. I can't wear the gold blouse with the olive pants, but yuck, who would want to?

But I also read somewhere else that I CAN mix and match head gear. I think the baseball caps look stupid on me. I hope I don't offend anyone with that, but the scout catalogue doesn't even picture the women leaders with hats at all. Most of the year we are indoors, so I don't really want a hat anyway, but I like a hat outdoors. Keeps the sun out of my eyes. Keeps the rain out of my hair. So, I found a den mother hat on ebay from the 1950s I guess. It is rather reminiscent of the flat military style hats that the boy scouts used to wear. I think it will look great my blue and gold uniform-just like Norman Rockwell painting.

I guess I'm posting here because I wanted some opinions from fellow scouters on mixing and matching uniforms and hats from different eras. What do you think?

The hat you are referring to is known as the overseas cap or garrison cap.

Personally, I don't care for them because they don't keep the sun off the face/head, and the color (at least the boy scout one) does not match the current colors being used.

I have not read anything official that says that you cannot mix and match uniform pieces from different era's. I read a lot of recommendations that you do this to keep the scouts from being confused and thinking that non uniform pieces are ok. If you find some statement by the BSA, share it.

I don't think you'd want cub headgear with boy scout or venturing uni. Otherwise, I say go for it. I think the blue garrison cap would look sharp with the yellow shirt.