Properly wearing the OA sash on the uniform

acco40 stated the proper dress very clearly in his post about 10 before you asked for a copy of rules. Just ask acco if you want a source, and then just follow the rules. Don't make up your own.

BDPT0

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because, DOD, that's what the BSA Uniform and Insignia guide states. Your proper "Class A" uniform already includes your lodge flap (indicating you are an active lodge member with paid up dues) and t

I always wash my things thoroughly after outdoor activities (I am not a fan of mud or grime), so my first sash has remained pretty clean and bright through the years. A clean sash may be a sign of a l

In my lodge growing up, "A clean sash is a sign of a lazy Arrowman." Kinda got in trouble for saying that when I told an individual who beligerently questioned my muddied, wet appearance at an Ordeal

Posted Images

BP-

I can't speak for any of the other adults on this thread, but I can say that despite what you want to believe, I believe and support the youth run lodge and Order.

All the lodges I've been associated with and have some involvement are youth run. In my current lodge, our lodge advisor has done a good job of ensuring that adult involvement is of the appropriate level, and I think all the other adults support her in this. Heck, at our most recent lodge elections (this past weekend, in fact), ALL the lodge adults left the dinning hall to go elsewhere to allow the lodge YOUTH the full freedom to conduct the elections, presided over by the outgoing Lodge Chief (who was aging out soon). This is how we've done the elections in years past as well.

So until you know us and our lodges, STFU.

ponz,

You neglected to mention that he also claims to be ordained. I don't know anyone who's ordained who is so rude and aggresively insulting. Nobody has asked about it before, so I will... How many matchbook covers did it take, and aside from trying to win arguments with it, what do you do with such a distinction?

BDPT00

Order of the Arrow Handbook #34996, Revised 2009

This is the main handbook for OA members. It includes basic information all members should know, and reflects current policies.

Available from the BSA National Supply Division, must be ordered through your local council.

I wonder if I can find a Version anywhere from the 1980's

I find it interesting that the books that deal with Traditions and Ceremonies are not available for free. And the Guidelines of OA are not available

john (and others in agreement)

I originally had the following comment in one of my posts, and edited it out because I thought it was superfluous:

Yes, other scouts should be able to tell you're in the OA by your actions of cheerful service. They should be able to tell you're a Vigil. They should be able to tell that you're an Eagle Scout, a Silver Beaver recipient, "trained", a WB graduate, an attendee of Philmont, etc, etc, etc, all by your actions. You shouldn't have to have any insignia at all to indicate any of that. Heck, by that standard, you shouldn't even have to have "Boy Scouts of America" on the uniform. We should all be able to wear tan shirts with olive green pants and differentiate ourselves by our actions alone. If you have an issue with insignia, write National and tell them it's unnecessary. No knots. No rank. No WB beads. Why not?

To DBPT100

I want an official publication...Why because it is Official what what someone says is written somewhere.

Why because I believe my eyes..

Rules are open for interpretations and simply saying it is so does not make it so..people tend to make mistakes.

Case in point our Lodge held elections in January a New OA member was nominated for a Office. They were disqualified because someone said National said you had to be a member 1 Year.

I just found this in the Official publication Lodge officers. The elected officers of the lodge are the lodge chief, lodge vice chief, lodge secretary, and lodge treasurer. Some lodges find it desirable to elect more than one vice chief. Arrowmen desiring to serve as a lodge (or chapter) officer or committee chairman must meet the following eligibility requirements:

1. Be currently registered in Scouting, in the council that charters the lodge.

2. Be a member in good standing in the lodge.

3. Be younger than 21 for the entire term of office.

Officers serve a one-year term. Suggested terms of office are a calendar year, January 1 through December 31, or a school year, September 1 through August 31. Officers may be re-elected. It is recommended that lodge officers hold no other office in the Order of the Arrow. This practice will allow the officer to devote his entire effort to the successful performance of the duties and responsibilities of his office. Lodge chiefs who are elected to be chief of a section, while in office, must resign the lodge chief position within 30 days after election as section chief.

All members of the lodge younger than 21 are eligible to vote.

No where does it say anything about a year of service. I was elected right after my Ordeal. (This message has been edited by a staff member.)

"john ponz I find it so difficult to believe that you really think that the dribble in your last post has any validity whatsoever,...   However I am willing to bet that you are not even active in your lodge, or if you are that the other adults keep you in line...  Scouters like yourself should restrict yourselves to your own units if only to minimize the damage your kind of attitude causes in the BSA. "

Wow, that was quite a performance in words.  It's okay to disagree and argue on an issue, but to lower the argument to personal attacks is inexcusable.  Further, to attack a fellow Scouter is way beyond me and was quite embarassing to read.  You basically labeled him a liar throughout your entire post.

Musings . . .

What if your lodge has an ugly pocket flap?

So if I'm out at a ceremony at an Ordeal weekend, or at a Camporee as part of the OA contingent directing traffic, and I'm wearing my tan uniform shirt, but it's cold, am I barred from wearing my sash over my jacket?

Maybe the Switchback pants were designed with an "internal" belt so you can't hang OA sashes on them.

If the only folks who can wear the OA sash with anything other than the uniform shirt are Elangomats, and BSA says the uniform is for indoor and ceremonial activities and that other appropriate clothing should be worn for outdoor stuff (see the Boy Scout Handbook), you really shouldn't see many sashes on Arrowmen doing outdoor service projects, right?

Are there any rules about whether the ends of the sash have to be snapped together when it is worn?

With tongue firmly in cheek,

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA

jpstodwftexas,

I know the rules. You don't need to spell them out to me. You were right regarding the made up rule, and that's fine.

My question to you is this: When you find out the proper way to wear a sash, will you follow the rules, or will you cling to something you heard from whenever/wherever/whyever before?

BDPT00

• Upvote 1

This not knowing the rules is a red herring argument. I already posted the link to the "Official Order of the Arrow Website" that clearly defines the rules.(This message has been edited by johnponz)

Some thoughts ...

In some cultures, inflammatory speech is proof that the speaker's argument is invalid.

I get the "real estate" problem of shirts. I think if the problem were posed to me, I would suggest something special epaulets with a white stripe with and red arrow. (An epaulet sash, if you will, I envision endless discussions on which way to point the arrows!) The wearer could simply flip it to the all red (or blue, or green) side when he's not transacting OA business.

But, you have pocket-rockets, a lodge flap, a sash. Using them judiciously should get you pretty far.

Are there any stats on OA membership trends?

"I still have not read an official OA Handbook and I do not have money to go order one as one was not provided when I returned to scout and OA "

Please.

Printed materials are not free (the OA has been pretty good about making much of their literature available to members as PDF downloads). And they aren't always expensive. That's no excuse not to have one. It only costs $3. I can't believe anyone would cry poverty over that cost. Most lodge flaps cost as much or more.

The OA has never just handed out handbooks to people. New members get one when they join, but the cost is included in the fees they pay to join. Older members are free to get the new one when they come out.

I have a large collection of OA handbooks and can tell you they have not changed largely since the 70s. (minor updates, but no major re-write like the BSHB)