Be careful about what is claimed as a deduction. A donation the your troop may not be deductible, whereas a donation to the council should be. The difference is that your own troop is too close to home. In other words, IRS could claim that that the purpose of a donation of a tent to the troop was so that your kid would have a place to sleep. A donation should not have any trace of direct benefit to the donor. A donation to the council is too far removed from the donor to have any hint of direct benefit.

Of course we all donate anyway regardless of deductibility!

True enough. That is one reason that I never deducted amounts I paid for outings I was going on, or fees paid for summer camp that I was attending. But if I do incur an expense for which there is no clear and obvious benefit for myself or my sons, I have claimed the deduction. If there is a grey area, I resolve the doubt in favor of myself. I still pay plenty of taxes.

The whole area of taxes is a gray area. A Scoutmaster with a boy in the troop has more room to justify a deduction than an uninvolved dad with a boy in the troop. If you pay to go to summer camp as an adult leader, I would argue that the expense was necessary and reasonable to operate the Scouting program. Your personal enjoyment of going to camp is incidental.