Why is the latest BSA uniform so traditional?

Actually I like the gen 1 Swithcbacks with the zippers at the hemmed ankles. Don't have to take off boots to convert them to shorts. Problem withthem is that they are sized horribly. I'm normally an XL and needed the L, and even then it's a wee bit loose. I've used for the outdoors both withing and outside of Scouting. Wish the cargo pockets were bigger, but that is a minor complaint.

The CU nylon shirt isn't too bad, except for the smokes pocket and how the shoulder are as the CSP looks kinda weird on them. Still think BSA should have went with the activity shirt they had a few years as the uniform shirt.

Haven't tried the microfiber yet. Overall I think the BSA is moving in the right direction.

Now I've heard a lot of complaints about the current Venturing shirts. Some ladies do not liek the vents b/c they show undergarments. Pockets are funcky for Oa and older Corp of Discovery Patches.

KUDU,

You mean 36" neckers? ;)

Forgot to add, Wish the CU shirt had buttons on the pockets. Seen more folks loose temp insignia that have loops on them, and Arrowmen wearing the dangels. Also seen Webelos wearing the plastic rank diamonds that national sells on the right pocket b/c there is no button on the left. i admit I hate the the plastic diamonds, but if national is going to sell them, you can't complain too much about scouts not sewing the patches on the uniforms.

BUT I can complain about national not having buttons on both pockets that actually "lock" the things in place having the button go through the pocket flap. One of the modifcations I made on my CU shirt was removing the button, placing it on the pocket, and making a buttonhole on the flap. OA flap covers up the modifciation.

I saw the Australian uniform and YYAAWWNNEEDD. Boring and ugly especially in an outdoor setting. The Canadian uniform is much better but still not equal to BSAs.

I wear the full BSA scout leader inform because it is so functional. The shirt can be converted to long or short sleeve, is breathable, roomy for activities and as long as you do not put on every patch or medal you have ever earned, then it is practical. The pants can be shorts or pants, are made of a durable canvas and the pockets are great for holding snacks, hand books, skits or whatever. I would change the necker though. It is not functional and should be a larger size.

I guess what I am trying to say is I do not want to look like a European soccer fan or employee at Lego Land. I like the current uniform because of the functional styling and subdued colors.

Fellow Scouters,

Prior to the centennial uniforms, and just before the microfiber uniforms were recently in the Scout shops and at Scoutstuff.org. I've also commented about the Australian Scouts uniform.

From my visiting with, Scouts UK and sometime Scouts Canada, it seems they place patches where ever they desire. Their uniforms were very similar to our ODL, and from what I viewed, their arrangement of patches/recognition on their shirt(s) was unorganized. From a brief visit with Australian Scouts, I was impressed with the polo shirt which separated age levels by shoulder board colors.

Now I am more pleased with the better quality fabric of our BSA uniforms, but I have enjoyed the Australian uniform shirts as an alternative.

Scouting Forever and Venture On!

Crew21 Adv

This link should take you to a pdf file showing you where the badges go on TSA uniform, it's not supposed to a free for all, but equally we don't go about measuring their placement either

http://www.scouts.org.uk/documents/Memberresources/Uniform_diagrams/Scout-uniform.pdf

The core uniform consists for a scout:

Neckerchief,

Woggle

Shirt (scouts, explorers and adults)

Sweatshirt (Beavers and Cubs)

Trousers (many scouts just wear jeans to troop nights)

This link will take you my group website have look at what they wear, looks perfectly scout like to me ;-)

http://www.1stwestbury.org.uk/index.php?page=photos&menuid=9

Cheers

Gareth

It's not traditional. It's khaki and has shoulder epaulets that are useless; it also doesn't permit the traditional scout neckerchief. Are neckerchiefs outre in Texas?

I'm not a fan of bulging side pockets on pants; I've got a rucksack or fanny pack for stuff that works much better, no banging on my sides! :)

TOO MANY patches make the uniform look crappy. End with the "trained" patches and such, just retain rank patches.