Green Explorer Shirt from 1990s

So I was digging in the basement and found a Green Explorer shirt from the late 1990s. I know that we can wear khaki ODL shirts but what is my excuse to use this shirt?

Contact National Supply and see if they have any green 'Venturing, BSA" strips that they are giving away.

When Exploring split in 1998, Supply was giving away those strips so that folks with Exploring shirts could remove that strip and repalce it.

Problem is depending upon how much use the shirt has, the strip may be a different shade than the shirt. That was my case and I still have my Exploring strip on it. BUT it also has District insignia on it.

It has always been my understanding that any official BSA uniform shirt, no matter when it was produced, remains an official uniform shirt and may be worn as such.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong.

Yep, but the challenge is that Exploring is no longer part of the BSA, but is instead part of Learning for Life. It would be like someone showingup in an old Air Scout uniform. Trust me, I had someone jump my case b/c my Sea Scout uniform still had teh Sea Explorer strip on it.

Yes, you can wear any vintage uniform, as long as it is appropriate to your current position in the program. If you are a troop committee member, for example, you would not wear a vintage Sea Scout uniform. So unless you are registered in the Venturing program, and add the Venturing strip above the right pocket, don't wear it.

What Papadaddy said.

Ran into one idiot wearing the old green Explorer shirt (marked for the Leadership Corps). He wasn't involved in Venturing and used the "once official, always official" along with him being in Leadership Corps as a kid as his justification. What BS.

I just ran into one of these, I thought it would be fun to set up with the explorer insignia I had on my shirt 25 years ago. I'm going to use this specifically for 80's day our camp is having to celebrate it's 25th anniversary. I suppose this falls under historic display and should be fine for that day's festivities; what do you guys think?

Afterward I use the idea posted above and add a venture strip and change insignia to my venture crew.

OOE,

One of my friends in the OA is a Scouting Living historian. He has either actual uniforms, or reproductions, from a variety of eras. His goal is to strive for authenticity, and he wears complete period uniforms. I don't see a problem with it as long as it is part of a display or event.

Me personally I love his old Vigil sashes that have the oversized triangle. Also like his repro black sash ( and not the one national came out with, but repro 1915-1920s).