Second Cub Leader Temp Badge?

I was reviewing the Scout Leader Uniform Inspection sheet (like a good patch policeman) and I noticed this line: "Cub Scout leaders and female leaders wearing the official uniform shirt or blouse may wear one temporary insignia centered above the Boy Scouts of America strip." (Right Pocket, Temporary Insignia).

I assume this is since CS leaders don't wear Jambo patches?

-Scott

I couldn't tell you if that is the exact reason why, but you are correct in that they do not wear jambo patches.

As CM, I wear the patch from the latest cub scout camping we went to wether resident, parent son, or camporree..

The scouts like it and makes them want to go camping to get the patch too.

Of course, once they go camping, the patch is no longer the main thing on their minds.

That rule was originally designed for the original ladies' yellow blouse since it did not have a pocket on the shirt. When the newer ones came out, they kept the rule b/c the patch accented some ladies' anatomy too much. The the rule was included all CS leaders, including males, and all female Boy Scout leaders.

For whatever reason the rule does not include female Venturers who may have the same "challenge."

Doesn't matter for Sea Scouts as the are only allowed to wear one temp patch, the 100TH Sea Scout Anniversary Patch. Otherwise no temp patches for them. ;)

And here si the full rule

Temporary insignia, including one current world Scout jamboree patch, centered on pocket. Only one temporary insignia may be worn at a time, and they are not required for correct uniforming ( emphasis mine). Cub Scout leaders and female leaders wearing the official uniform shirt or blouse may wear one temporary insignia centered above the Boy Scouts of America strip.

So any CS leader, or A Female BS or Vent. Leader has the OPTION of one temp patch on teh pocket, or above the BSA strip. They just cannot wear 2 temp patches.

Oh and some of us old fogey CS leaders do wear Jambo insignia. ;)

Base,

True story. When I worked for National, for whatever reason my manager didn't want me to wear my Jambo patch on the scout shop uniform, even thought it is allowed. But I tried to comply anyway. When I took off the jambo patch. there was a "spot" that was highly visible where the patch was worn compared to the rest of the shirt.

I got to wear the jambo patch.

Of all the silly uniforming things I've seen, wearing an old jamboree patch hardly qualifies as peacock syndrome. An old jamboree patch, a youth religious knot, an AoL knot, and an Eagle knot all represent something a Scouter did as a youth. Personally, I plan on wearing my 2005 Jamboree patch until I end up at another one as staff or as a participant.

However, here's something we can both agree is absurd: At a recent Eagle CoH, I witnessed a Scout leader wearing all seven of his knots. That was fine. However, he also had a temporary patch and a hanging patch on both pockets... and an old district event patch above his right pocket. It was interesting, to say the least.

We recently paid tribute to a 90-something year old Scouter who passed on. He still proudly wore the 1937 Jamboree patch on his 1960's vintage uniform, which he attended as a young Scout. THe only other patch on the uniform, besides unit numerals and CSP, was his Eagle square knot.

Peacock?

Was a Cook-coo when I first took WB.

I don't wear a uniform very often and don't wear my red wool jacket a lot.

But on the back of the jacket I still wear the big Nordjamb patch from the 1975 World Jamboree.

Does this qualify me as a Peacock?

Ea.

• 2 months later...

I met a guy at Pow Wow/UoS who had a ton of stuff on his shirt. We're talking powder horn, rows of knots, WB beads/necker, Philmont belt, etc. I asked him why he wore all the stuff and he said that it starts conversations and gives him an opportunity to promote the different programs that BSA offers for scouts and scouters. This lead a great talk about Powder Horn training which I'm trying to attend at the next opportunity. If he hadn't worn all the stuff, I would have missed out on learning more about scouting opportunities.