Difference between the District Commission Key knot and the Arrowhead Honor Award

basic The Arrowhead is a quick "you're on the right track" recognition for commissioners. For UC's it can be earned in 6-12 months after attending training, commissioner conference/college, 6 district commissioner staff meetings, and 8 unit visits.

The commissioner key requires the arrowhead award and three years tenure plus some orientation/coaching.

For DC's & ADC's, the Arrowhead focuses more on evaluation, supervision and recruitment of commissioners. They Key requires the arrowhead, basic training and three years tenure.

"basic The Arrowhead is a quick "you're on the right track" recognition for commissioners."

Originally, that's what the Arrowhead award was for all leaders- a basic leadership award that was earned within a year, whereas the Training Award/Keys were earned after 3 years of service.

Later (don't know why), the Arrowhead was reduced to a commissioner-only award.

I believe that the Arrowhead is a requirement for completing either commissioner training, which is two years, or the Key, which is three years, and only for "head" commissioners. Of course there are additional requirements for them both.(This message has been edited by skeptic)

There is no training award for commissioners. I think there used to be one. Only roundtable staff can earn a training award, but they can't earn a key. There are different requirement sets for the arrowhead and key for UCs, Roundtable Commissioners, and DCs/ADCs. CCs and ACCs can't earn arrowhead/key just as there is only a district committee key and not a council committee key. However all can earn Distinguished Commissioner Award for five years tenure and certain expectations for quality unit percentage and rechartering in their service area. For roundtable commissioners the expectation is to conduct a certain number of roundtables each year for the five years.

In basic training with the CC and ACC (past CC, also my district's CSRTC) told us that a good goal/performance expectation would be to earn:

Arrowhead within the first year

Commissioner's Key after three years

Distinguished Commissioner after five years (you can self-nominate as our CC reminded us this weekend at Commissioner Conference)

There's also a new knot out: Commissioner Award of Excellence in Unit Service (red background, gold border & knot). It takes two years to earn with expectations in on-time charter renewal, retention increases, and major problem solved.

Guess showing my age again; earned training for commissioner in late 70's or early 80's, and one requirement was the Arrowhead. Am still on roundtable staff, but no longer considered a commissioner I guess. Thanks for the clarification.

There is a training award for Roundtable staff. Details here:

http://usscouts.org/awards/scoutertraining5.asp

The Arrowhead Honor is ONLY worn as a commissioner, on a commissioner's uniform. I was on Roundtable Staff, and earned the Roundtable Training Award. I later "moved up" to CS RTC, where I completed the Arrowhead Honor; then I transitioned to Venturing Forum Commissioner, and I completed the Commissioner's Key. As a Scoutmaster, I am no longer a part of the commissioner or roundtable staff; I still have the training knot and keys on most of my uniforms, but I removed the Arrowhead Honor when I stepped down as a commissioner.