Uniform Design Recommendation Contact

I found the contact email for recommendations and concerns regarding the uniform: program.content@scouting.org

My observations to BSA are:

1. Microfiber shirts have shoulder loops too far back, not centered on shoulders

2. Microfiber cargo pants should have cargo pockets on sides, not front (uncomfortable to cary anything while hiking)

3. Eliminate the stitching on left shirt pocket for pen. Hole is great, but stitching makes sewing rank very difficult, especially on smaller youth sizes.

Jim

I'd like to also see the Cub rank patches made so they can actually be stitched onto the uniform shirt, the way the sheet says they should be. But they're too large to do so.

The neckerchief is such a distinctive, worldwide scouting thing, that I'd keep it and try to promote its use.

In regards to the patches that have to be sewn on the uniform, it would be nice to have some patches that are not so thick or undercoated with plastic that you have to use a carpet needle to get them on the uniform. My 12 year old son cannot get a needle threw them at all.

I do not know how to use a sewing machine and prefer to maintain my own uniform.

I honestly don't remember the patches being ths hard to sew on as a youth. My mom said - you earned it, you sew it on. (Many years later, I pretty much do all the sewing in the house).

Just my 2

Peace ... S.

I'd like to also see the Cub rank patches made so they can actually be stitched onto the uniform shirt, the way the sheet says they should be. But they're too large to do so.

Actually the Cubs are too small nowadays ;) Gotta remember the ranks badges are designed to go on a 8-10 y.o. shirt, not a 6-10yo.

The new super light weight shirt is comfy, and wrinkle free, but very delicate. My son's shirt has abrasion marks from his Den Chief Cords on the shoulder. The trouser are very poorly designed, pocket are poorly places, and the quality isn't that good. I prefer the Switchbacks.

I like the layout, don't mind the shoulder loops, and as long as the shoulder pocket is good great. Would prefer a Name tag that can be sewn on better. The pin and clutch back pins aren't very comfortable, nor easy to place.

I have seen more and more people using velcro for some patch placement. That would be a good idea for the Temp Pocket patch.

I think that the Necker should be brought back as a must have part of the uniform. This is one of the marks of Scouting. Every International Scouting Organization in the world wears them. The BSA Should also wear them.

Redesign the Venturing uniform to be the same design as the Scout uniform, but in the Venturing colors. I got myself the Venturing pants, not too bacd, but too much velcro. And the shirt makes too much noise when you walk around in it. also too stiff. The pocket flaps aren't that great either. And they should develop a long sleeve shirt.

We just had out Scouter's Annual Conference, and I got the chance to see the new Dress Uniform, with jacket, trousers, tie etc.. looks great. But I don't need anything like that. I'm too low on the totem pole to wear something like that. But it does look nice.

Mike B.

ScoutBox, not to get off track, but...

When I was in TAC as a youth, we all wore the standard TAC temp patch on our shirts. It was a round patch with the map Europe and N. Africa, and the Countries with a BSA presence were in Red. There were little segments that went around it for different things. Spring and Fall Camporees, Camp Dahn, Camp Freedom, Camp Bayren, Camp Tuscany, England (if you went to Camp Baden-Powell), Berlin (if you did the Berlin Historical Trail, the segment had barbed-wire over the word), and tons more.

Did they stop doing that?

You really can't easily sew thru the patches because of the thick backing which keeps them from falling apart.

Instead use a blanket whipping stitch to go thru the shirt and then up thru the edging stitching on the patch and then down thru the shirt again, so you are only sewing around the edge.