WHY the Uniform Pants?

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Beavah,

The statement from the Eagle Scout was kinda funny and sad. I was smiling while reading it, but I wonder what he says when asked why he is a scout and even pursued his Eagle. Would he rather just wear a pair of jeans and a t-shirt and hang out with friends? Why would he think the uniform is just for adults to dress up to impress? Do all the scouts on the EBOR feel that way? It would be interesting to find out how he formed this opinion through his scouting life. I am not trying to stir things up, I am genuinely curious what we have if we take away the uniformity?

Just wondering..

Pardon me for be rude, but this thread is, well....irritating and I have to chime in.

Scouting is in UNIFORMED Organization.

The reasons are explained in the handbooks and elsewhere.

If you don't like uniforms, why did you join, or encourage your sons to join?

It's like buying a house next to an airport, then complaining about the airport!

I think the Eagle is completely in step with the spirit of scouting.

If I'm interpreting his comment correctly, what he experienced on the trail to Eagle was more important to him than the uniform. I agree: the experiences trump the uniform.

Also, he said the uniform was dorky, which from my point of view, is 100 percent accurate.

If the BSA truly values the uniform, they'd ask the Eagle and his peers to design it, not a group middle age scouters who will wear anything with a BSA label on it.

Design a uniform people will like, and they will wear it. Gladly. Until then, we will continue the status quo the two schools of thought: "I'm proud of my ODL and/or Centennial uniform" vs "I ain't spending my money on that dorky stuff."

PS Actually, there is a third point of view: "I don't like the uniform but I'll wear it so I can be a scout." Admirable, but it's a darn shame we put folks in that position. Also makes me wonder how many potential scouts and scouters have stayed away from the BSA because of the negative impression of our uniforms. Not necessarily because it's a uniform, but a dorky one.

(This message has been edited by desertrat77)

"Uniform" in the rest of the world: the same; distinctive common dress.

"Uniform" in B.S.A.: sold by B.S.A. at some point.

So what is it really all about now?

My Council has had twelve CSP's from 2010 to date and is about to launch no. thirteen.

The trouser circus has been mentioned , but there are also multiple Scout shirts currently, not to mention the back-and-forth on shirts and trousers since the 102d anniversary of Scouting in the U.S.

I would be in favor of "uniform" in it's non-B.S.A. meaning because I think uniforming has benefits in a team sport.

I sometimes speculate (only somewhat tongue in cheek), that the real purpose of the uniform is to train boys to be obedient by requiring them to wear the "dorky" looking uniform. They are put in a position where they likely feel self conscious about the uniform because the style is so dated; and learn that it's OK to be different and stand out from the crowd. Perhaps that is how the uniform method advances the character portion of scouting's aims.

Multiple threads on this forum provide many reasons why the style of the uniform need not change as fashions continue to change. There are many of us that have fond memories of the current uniform and like that it stays the same. Yet how many of us would willingly wear a basketball uniform from the 70's to go out and play a game with their son (or require their son to wear one also)?

For that matter, how many of us wear clothing styles from the 60's, glasses from the 70's, or hair styles from the 80's (except to a costume party)?

Ok i guess i'm getting old and i'll admit i care about fashion only a little bit.... ButI don't get the 'out of style' concern.

It's a blue collared shirt.

Blue cargo pants, which by my estimation are very fashionable and in with youth....

Apart from the regalia of patches and necker, what's so out of style about it?

...so I was wondering wgu this thread has 82 comments...and then looked at the question...

..."Why the uniform pants?"...

And I thought for a second...

[Disclaimer - I have not read all the 82 comments].

...I was on a camp out last month and I had actually commented on a scouts "uniform shorts" and he said ..."Yeah...we love 'em. Look! " ...and showed me the "legs" that go to the shorts stuffed in little pockets.

All I could say was "Cool!"

He said ... To which I laughed..."Yeah...It makes ice jealous!".

(Yes...it did take me a moment to connect cool and ice...).

Bottom Line: Why???

..."For the Scouts"

Peace...S.

Of all of the Scouts I've known, I can think of maybe one over the age of 8 who liked wearing the Scout uniform. He was a Super Scout -- and is now a Scouting professional working for BSA. It's largely adults who care about the uniform, who want Scouts to look "sharp," who think there are character-building aspects and other positive psychological aspects to uniform wear. And the folks who have the stories about how well their Scouts in uniform were treated -- well, again it is usually adults who are impressed by the uniform and treat the Scouts well because of it, not other youth. Just my opinion, of course, but I think it is really shared effort and shared experiences that break down class distinctions and build teamwork -- not wearing the same clothes. As I've said before, I think the principal function of the Scout uniform is marketing: marketing the Scout program to the public, and marketing particular programs and activities (via patches and badges) within Scouting to other Scouts and leaders.

Dan Kurtenbach

Fairfax, VA

blw2, I'll bite and answer your question as to why the BSA uniforms for Boy Scouts and Cub Scouts are unfashionable.

Cargo pants are fine. Skinny jeans and pants are more fashionable, but cargo pants are still very popular. As long as the pants function well in the outdoors, the pants are not a problem. But I think we can agree that the uniform pants are not the heart and soul of the uniform. The pivotal piece in the uniform, both from the viewpoint of style and in meeting the aims of the uniform method.

The shirt is not fashionable. The shirt is similar in cut to casual button front shirts made with woven fabrics, true. But most shirts of similar cut sold to young males are in print fabrics or color-blocked. Think camp shirts and bowling shirts, for example, with retro styling and Hawaiian prints. Long sleeve counterparts are flannel shirts, again a woven print. Not solid blue or solid tan. Then epaulets, pocket flaps and sleeve cuffs are added, all not current fashion for shirts. Suitable for outerwear, possibly. Plus patches and, the crowning touch, the neckerchief. Men or boys do not otherwise EVER wear little triangle scarves. Not even police officers, fire fighters and the military wear little triangle scarves, though their uniforms as a whole include all the other features mentioned. And THEN? Tucked in shirts are way, way out of current fashion. The only shirts worn tucked in are dress shirts for more formal occasions, and uniform shirts. Which leads me back to a position I've taken previously, that scout uniforms are more similar to dress clothes than casual outdoor clothing for boys, and this abets the perception held by scouts and parents that the uniform is for 'good' and class Bs are preferred for most scouting activities.

The socks, hats and belts are generally fine from a fashion point-of-view.

An impromptu and informal poll of the scouts in my household indicates that only the 8 yo likes wearing his uniform shirt. The other two would much rather wear t-shirts with their uniform pants.

...the ODL Olive Green pants...? If y'all are talking about those...

They have always been awful and not outdoor friendly at all.

Sorry folks, sometimes I'm a day late and a dollar short.

Peace...S.